Does "E=mc2" theory rules out in the case of "LARGE HYDROGEN COLLIDER" process?

particle collide

when the particles gets collided in "LHC"
Energy released during that collision does equate with "E=mc2" theory (or) "E=mc2" rules out!!!

Replies

• Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Please rephrase your question. Let us help you better.
  • swapneel goud
    swapneel goud
    when particles in "LHC" collide a lot of energy(E) is released.Now in E=mc2 on substituting values for E,m,c does it satisfies or rules out !!!
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    E=mc2 gives the maximum energy potential of a rest mass "m". This is the limit of the energy you can get from this mass. When particles collide and energy is released, a fraction of the mass is converted into energy. Similar conversion occurs in many chemical and nuclear reactions. If you are asking whether Conservation of Energy is violated, it is not.
  • swapneel goud
    swapneel goud
    thats the real generalization
    but how does collision of a small or negligible mass of those particles would equate to enormous energy(E) released in E=mc2
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    c = 299792458 m/s (source: Google)
    c^2 = 89875517873681764 m^2/s^2

Multiply by what you might call a "negligible" mass with this, lets say a milligram (10^-6 kg).

E = 10^-6 * c^2 = 89875517873.681764 Joules

Not small, is it?
  • swapneel goud
    swapneel goud
    the calculation was perfect!
    but the mass of particle means the mass of proton(mp)
    mp=1.6726219*10^-27 kg that matters.

now the calculated value moves on to
    E=[1.6726219*10^-27]*[89875517873681764]
    E=1.5032776e-10(google)
    which is very small
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    The experiments at LHC are designed to accelerate sub-atomic particles to relativistic speeds (near that of c), a process that requires an extremely huge amount of energy. You might ask why does it need so much energy? As you approach c, the relativistic mass approaches infinity. Hence, the force required to accelerate a particle to c (no matter how less massive, even a proton!) will be infinite! We can only accelerate the particles in the LHC (or any other particle accelerator) to a value close to c (but never c), and even that requires massive amounts of energy. That is why such experiments are called extremely high energy experiments. This energy gets translated into the kinetic energy of the particle.

The formula (E=mc2) gives only the energy potential based on the rest mass of that photon. It does not say anything about its energy content when it is in motion (keep in mind the word "rest mass" used in that equation). Imagine the photon being accelerated in the LHC to near c values. Its mass will be huge and its kinetic energy will be even larger! And when two such particles collide? I rest my case.

This link gives a much better description that I ever can:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • swapneel goud
    swapneel goud
    okay!!!
    i got the point of explanation.
    thank you and a lot of threads are strugling in my mind to get a correct explanation...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : IDEA OUTLOOK The main factors that influenced the development of my 'Smart Driver e-Monitoring and Alert System ' are the supervision and observation of drivers...
Project Abstract / Summary : Bio metrics is the science of identifying or verifying the identity of a person based on physiological or behavioral characteristics. People may have heard of...
Project Abstract / Summary : Introduction Piezoelectric materials were first discovered by Jacques and pierrecurie in the 19thcentury.The literal meaning of piezoelectric is “pressure electricity”,and this meaning aptly describes these...
Project Abstract / Summary : India has prolifically grown in race of adopting modern technologies. The evolution of internet of things has made possible to change the way of health...
Project Abstract / Summary : The project is about making the energy meter smart by having a continuous automatic communication between the consumer’s energy meter and the utility. The energy...