Does concrete need water to further harden in the years after it is poured?

I've read that concrete will further harder for 40 to 50 years after it is poured. Does it need additional moisture to do this? - moisture in addition to the water that was mixed with it? Would concrete that was kept damp, like that on the face of a dam, harden quicker that concrete in a dry environment?

Replies

• cooltwins
    cooltwins
    concrete is said to gain it's 90% strength in the first 28 days itself.it might continue to strengthen for decades to come after that.but the water that is already mixed with it previously dries up and is not present.so i think the moisture from the atmosphere must help in the hardening.
    correct me if i am wrong 😀
  • trex
    trex
    it will set-up better when kept wet, i work in a lab testing concrete cubes and we keep them under water for seven days to cure for a strength test,, this is suppose to get them to max. strength
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    The procedure for concreting is exothermic reaction as it exerts heat energy continuously water is just play a role to maintain the moisture content of concrete, water using for curing is just maintain the moisture of the concrete to acquire its ultimate strength in the given time period to make the structure strong.
    we can also say that water is the major factor which accelerates the hardening of the concrete by providing required moisture to hydration process, which is exothermic. Concrete exposed to water contact periodically will have more detrimental effect to its life.If you take a sample of the 6 or 7th year and 10 or 12th year concrete core you
    will find only fractions of difference which is again very negligible.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am a student of engineering 3rd year of computer science in jaipur. as per our curriculam of engineering a 30 days industrial training is proposed during 12 may- 18...
Many Many Happy Returns Of The Day "gaurav.bhorkar" 😀 😁 Enjoy to the fullest.... :smile:
Sir, our college is planning to participate in the baja sae India competition which to be held next year. as we have to register this month so we are a...
I notice on the page for Forum.CE:Lounge.Chillax Chit-Chat that clicking on "Blogs" takes me back to the forum home page. It that the correct function? (I am using the 64...
Yahoo's CTO, Ari Balogh has resigned and June 3 will be his last day at Yahoo. Mr. Balogh had joined Yahoo in 2008. Here's Yahoo's official word: “Ari Balogh, EVP,...