Do You Want Sidebar On All The Pages Of CE Community

CEans,

Please provide a quick feedback on this: - Do you want the sidebar that you see on Community Homepage ( #-Link-Snipped-# ) to appear on all the pages -> Threads List & along with the posts in a thread? That is, do you want to have the sidebar on the right side of the page that you are currently viewing?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    more than that may be we can have 'what's new' for easy navigation between threads
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    If you are talking about the sidebar that contains (engineers online now and other) features to the right of community page, then there is no use of it. It will lead to smaller space for users when they want to read some serious stuff (viewing threads) and sub-forums.

This is my opinion. The present setup is good.
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    As Durga suggested "What's new" may be a good option ?? ๐Ÿ˜
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    There is a what's new feature already in place.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I don't find any use of having that sidebar for all the pages. It leads to smaller size of posts and all. We have it to our Recent-activity page, that's enough I guess.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think we need the sidebar on all pages, because I have to keep going to the front page to see who all are online. It would be good to have an uniform layout all over the site.
    Plus, as #-Link-Snipped-# mentioned, we have out twitter feed there that shows the latest posts on the forum as well as on VoiCE.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    AbraKaDabra
    I think we need the sidebar on all pages, because I have to keep going to the front page to see who all are online.
    Why do you want to see who all are online? Forgive me but isn't it unnecessary?
    If you want to do something, just make the "What's new" feature available for all the pages as it is on the community page.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I guess a sidebar could be helpful, you just need to think about what content you are going to put there and as previously discussed online people, what's new stuff and twitter feed are good choices. A sidebar on each page can help to make navigation easier.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    CEans,

Please provide a quick feedback on this: - Do you want the sidebar that you see on Community Homepage ( #-Link-Snipped-# ) to appear on all the pages -> Threads List & along with the posts in a thread? That is, do you want to have the sidebar on the right side of the page that you are currently viewing?
    In my opinion the present set up is uncluttered, keeps attention on the thread and gives a full page view. It is not all that difficult to get to the Forum page with the side bar. Why not let it be?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Surprising that we have More number of 'yes' in the poll and more 'no' in the comments! ๐Ÿ˜• . I agree that the current layout looks clutter-free and obviously, adding a sidebar on pages would shrink the space available for posts.

At the same time, adding a sidebar to pages makes whole CE look consistent. Our blog will feature sidebar which we can't rid of. I was thinking if we add sidebar; we'd more adopt the format of social networking sites like Facebook. But we aren't on our way to become a social network.

The sidebar can be used for several new things. For example, we can display the best response in the current thread (depending upon the likes received, who's online, staff online, latest registrations, announcements etc.).
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    In my opinion, If you insist, you can decide the contents to be displayed on sidebar. Like for pages apart from Community, displaying "CEans online would be a waste". Instead if you display "best responses for best/ latest threads" (as you said in #11)), it would be worthy.

Always remember the size of thread page will shrink so the compensation should be worthy of it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What goes into the sidebar isn't the top priority right now, because we can have flexible widgets; plus we can make the sidebar collapsible! ๐Ÿ˜€ So those who don't want it can simply choose to hide it.

Once we have the space, we can determine how to use it. For example, we may even display who among the CEans you're following have commented in the thread you're currently viewing.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The_Big_K
    What goes into the sidebar isn't the top priority right now, because we can have flexible widgets; plus we can make the sidebar collapsible! ๐Ÿ˜€ So those who don't want it can simply choose to hide it.

Once we have the space, we can determine how to use it. For example, we may even display who among the CEans you're following have commented in the thread you're currently viewing.
    Making it collapsible caters to everyone's needs. ๐Ÿ˜
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    If its collapsible and flexible go for it ๐Ÿ˜€ You should have mentioned in post #1 ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alright, now I need to figure out how to make it collapsible. It's going to need few customizations to our platform and I'm keen on adding a feature *only* if it adds value to our community and benefits our members.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    The_Big_K

Superb. It's good then. Now I want to revote again from No to Yes ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    All set then. I actually figured out that we can make it collapsible after starting this thread. Let me get into technicalities of this and if it looks like a value adder; we'll launch it, but make it optional (collapsible). Thanks a lot for your feedback!
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    There should be 'useful' features if the sidebar is made consistent throughout the website.

I was more looking forward to a feature where I can 'mark a thread as unread'. Sometimes I open the unread threads in tabs and then some work comes up and I have to shutdown my laptop and remember to read the threads later.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : You may use 'watch' thread feature for the threads you want to read later or follow up.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-#, I do use the 'watch' thread feature. ๐Ÿ‘
    I'm suggesting a 'mark as unread / read' feature like we have in Gmail.

Untitled

Here (^), in the drop-down list we have another option as 'mark as read / unread'.

Or, we can have a 'mark as read / unread' button at the bottom of the page.
    Here,
    Untitled
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    plus we can make the sidebar collapsible! ๐Ÿ˜€ So those who don't want it can simply choose to hide it.
    With that option it is best of both worlds. Let us have a go at it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It now looks like there are several tweaks and possible issues with it. For example; the sidebar affects the advertisements (visible only to guests) layout which we can't dynamically update (easily).

I'm still digging into the possibility of collapsible sidebar and whether its easier to fetch all the relevant contents that may enhance user experience.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    The_Big_K
    It now looks like there are several tweaks and possible issues with it. For example; the sidebar affects the advertisements (visible only to guests) layout which we can't dynamically update (easily).

I'm still digging into the possibility of collapsible sidebar and whether its easier to fetch all the relevant contents that may enhance user experience.
    If there is possible solution and collapsible Sidebar is fine otherwise I am happy with this layout too. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

While sending mails, if I want to attach a file I am unable to do so with Google Chrome. I am unable to browse the location of file. I have...
What is the status of owning a franchise? Those I searhed for say the franchise period is of 3 years. But how many of us want to own a franchise...
I remember while interviewing a candidate for the position of Junior Software Engineer, I asked this question: What's your aim in life? . I wasn't expecting any answer, but I...
In TIEcon, I got a chance to hear some famous entrepreneurs who were notoriously dull and boring. When they were explaining about capital funding, I was on the verge of...
Which drivers do I need to install for windows 8 so that I can activate audio in my system? Or what are the other settings I should go for? AbraKaDabra...