Do you think coding should be taught in schools?

Check this video Starring Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, will.i.am, Chris Bosh, Jack Dorsey, Tony Hsieh, Drew Houston, Gabe Newell, Ruchi Sanghvi, Elena Silenok, Vanessa Hurst, and Hadi Partovi. Directed by Lesley Chilcott, executive producers Hadi and Ali Partovi.

It lets you learn about a new "superpower" that isn't being taught in in 90% of US schools.

!

Is coding fun to learn?
For some Coding isnt fun. From what I've heard Most people won't enjoy it, that's true.
Only a few individuals will enjoy programming. Random person dont enjoy math, they hate it. Programming is a hardcore version of math.

Still you can't know if you like it or not if you've never tried it. The world needs people who code. So this video does it's job. Some people actually like math.

So, should coding be taught in schools? What do you think?

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I have seen the video before, and it's just awesome,

Actually in India, we don't focus on giving technical education much, and when it comes to coding, I agree, many are not interested in it, but the few who are, always think, I would have started it earlier,

Most of the people with a logical mind set just loves coding, it's actually interesting to find logic behind a question and execute it through your code.

Well, here is a video, which I enjoy, all CEans, see it, it's actually a Rap on coding

Here's the lyrics :- 😛

The "Java Life"

SPOKEN:
    In the cubicles representin’ for my JAVA homies

In by nine, out when the deadlines are met, check it.

CHORUS:
    We code hard in these cubicles
    My style’s nerd-chic, I’m a programmin’ freak
    Only two hours to your deadline? Don’t sweat my technique.

Sippin’ morning coffee with that JAVA swirl.
    Born to code; my first words were “Hello World”
    Since 95, been JAVA codin’ stayin’ proud
    Started on floppy disks, now we take it to the cloud.   

On my desktop, JAVA’s what’s bobbin’ and weavin’
    We got another winning app before I get to OddEven.
    Blazin’ code like a forest fire, climbin’ a tree
    Setting standards like I Triple E

Boot it on up, I use the force like Luke,
    Got so much love for my homeboy Duke.
    GNU Public Licensed, it’s open source,
    Stop by my desk when you need a crash course

Written once and my script runs anywhere,
    Straight thuggin’, mean muggin’ in my Aeron chair.
    All the best lines of code, you know I wrote ‘em
    I’ll run you out of town on your dial-up modem.

CHORUS:
    ‘Cause

Me and my crew code hyphy hardcore   
    It’s been more than 10 years since I’ve seen the 404.

Inheriting a project can make me go beeee-serk
    Ain’t got four hours to transfer their Framework.
    The cleaners killed the lights, Man, that ain’t nice,
    Gonna knock this program out, just like Kimbo Slice

I program all night, just like a champ,
    Look alive under this IKEA lamp.
    I code HARDER in the midnight hour,
    E7 on the vending machine fuels my power.

Ps3 to Smartphones, our code use never ends,
    JAVA’s there when I beat you in “Words with Friends”.
    My developing skills are so fresh please discuss,
    You better step your game up on that C++.

We know better than to use Dot N-E-T,
    Even Dan Brown can’t cod e as hard as me.
    You know JAVA’s gettin’ bigger, that’s a promise not a threat,
    Let me code it on your brain

WHISPERED:
    so you’ll never forget.

CHORUS:
    We code hard in these cubicles,
    it’s the core component
of what we implement.
    Straight to your JAVA Runtime Environment.

Keep the syntax light and the algorithm tight.
    Gotta use JAVA if it’s gonna run right.     

JAVA keeps adapting, you know it’s built to last.
    Robust and secure, so our swag’s on blast

CODE HARD  
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I hated coding, and i still hate it.

whenever we had a coding exam (practicals), a very gruelsome procedure used to be followed, that is we could not turn on the systems, unless we had written the program on paper, and had it approved by the examiner.

On the other hand i feel, far more interesting stuff such as engineering graphics, machine drawing, should be taught in schools.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The first line in above video is "Everybody in this country(may be implicating world) should learn how to program computer, because it teaches you how to think"-- This quote sucks.👎
    Sachin Tendulkar should have learnt programming first before getting into 1st class matches, This would have make him better batsman.
    How about I say "Everybody should learn fine art because it teaches how to make world more beautiful, Everybody should first get military training like Bear Grills because it teaches how to survive"
    Every job in this world teaches you how deal with real world problems in its own way.

I guess schools meant to teach a students whatever school think every student should learn and get benefit in life, irrespective of student's choice. After schools a student gets interest in some subject choose for further studies.
    A student should not be forced to learn a specific skill. Teaching computers basic is enough, On other side this could be debatable point when should a student choose what to do!
  • suyash deshmukh
    suyash deshmukh
    I saw that video few days ago and downloaded it immediately..
    Yes coding should be taught in schools. Its important that students get their basics right at the early age.
    Now in the coming years, every person will need to code..
    So like it or not we will have to accept it that everyone will have to code someday.
    So why not start early??
    Also coding changes the way person thinks.. That gives you a lot of power to tackle various different problems even in day to day life..
    I love coding..I wish i would have introduced to it when i was in school..😔
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    AbraKaDabra
    Programming is a hardcore version of math.
    Really? Not unless you are developing project work on binomial theorem or Fourier transform. In industry, one would rather use a tested and proven library.

And for people who say they love coding, I'd really like to know how much part of the day do they spend coding?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can someone explain to me what is the role of a decompression lever in an internal combustion engine?
We know that the optical media is dying and it's been a while you used your DVD drive. But have you ever thought of converting your DVD drive into a...
The D.C series wound motor has the following characteristics: 1. It gives high torque and high speed. 2. speed and torque continue to rise as soon as the machine is...
Facebook was being very selective in announcing the gadgets that can run latest facebook home app. However, MoDaCo founder Paul O'Brian has come up with simple steps that describe how...
Here's wishing our old CEan and more importantly, an amazing VoiCE Contributor a very very Happy Birthday! 🎉 Keep being awesome!