Do We Really Need Two Day Weekend?

I remember my father would work 6 days a week and Sunday was a common day-off for everyone. Then entered the IT; that really changed the way people worked. Because the clients in other countries would take Saturday & Sunday Off, the Indian IT industry followed it as well.

I wonder whether people need two days off every week? Will going back to 6 days week ensure more productivity & output?

Share your thoughts.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I need 3 days 😁....

how many task one person do in two days, Rest+work of whole week+hobbies+hangout with friends+++ ... Ohh so may task and only two days😁
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    We tend to bend rules for comfort.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I know people who'd say 7!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Holidays are bogus. Why do we need even 1 day official holiday? Complete your work in 5 minutes and enjoy remaining days of week to the fullest.

P.S: I am in Hyderabad for about 15 days now and working almost 24X7. Starved of sleeping. I hope so, my self study begins early in coming couple of months.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    In standard workweek worldwide is 40hrs per week which can vary in some countries from 35 -45. Working Time
    that means in a week hours is (8+1(lunch))*5 or that is mostly 9-6/Mon-Fri or you can work 10-6(Mon-sat) it upon policy which to choose.
    So here most people prefer 1 extra hour to get two weekend😏 , whats wrong with it.
    But there are only few companies who have balance of this 40hrs/week.Most of IT companies take more work from employees, at least from lower hierarchy.
    I am also worked for around 4-5 month with 55-60hours workweek and I don't think it improves productivity, it just sucks 👎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Does it suck only in IT? Because pre-IT; a lot of people would look forward to 'Sunday' as the only day off every week. Want to know what #-Link-Snipped-# thinks about it 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    what about standard working week hours!! 99% IT companies choose to cover it in 5 days and others in 6 days.by the way Railways official working days are also only Mon-Fri.
    Pre-IT, I think, offices are mostly government bodies which serves citizens and needs to open 6 days like post offfices, govt offices and banks in which they cover week hours in 6 days.
    Are you saying that there is need to increase week hours?😨
  • Nachko
    Nachko
    I prefer a 6-day working week 😀 Or something like 55 hours/week.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    I remember my father would work 6 days a week and Sunday was a common day-off for everyone. Then entered the IT; that really changed the way people worked. Because the clients in other countries would take Saturday & Sunday Off, the Indian IT industry followed it as well.
    I wonder whether people need two days off every week? Will going back to 6 days week ensure more productivity & output? Share your thoughts.
    In Germany even manufacturing units close by midday on Friday. A researcher has no such problem. She/Heis at it all the time. My own job now is nominally five and a half days. Normal working hours mostly go in routine work. Actual creative work goes on out of hours.
    I will go crazy (crazier than CEan Crazy, that is) with a five day week. Personal productivity and output will come down with a five day week.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    I know people who'd say 7!
    who are they ?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    I wonder whether people need two days off every week? Will going back to 6 days week ensure more productivity & output?

if people really need two days of holiday, then they need it.

i don't think working a day extra, would significantly increase the productivity.

just think: if there weren't any holidays in the first place, then what would the productivity be ?, would it really increase ?
  • ashie
    ashie
    well does 2 days weekend really matter,because according to me, even in that 2 days people do sme work lyk spending time with loved ones,take some time for their hobbies...so personal growth is also kind of work......

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I completed my B.E. in mechanical in 2011 and currently working as an Asst. Prof. in one of the nearby colleges...i got into teaching for my studies only and...
Let us make a collection of the ultimate project ideas for third & final year Aeronautical engineering students.I have a found a few after a quick search -Bird deflector system...
1. Determine the oxygen up take by immobilized cells or enzymes in Bio reactor. 2. Design a bio reactor for continuous operation 3. Operation of more than one bio reactor...
Hundreds of tech start-ups are bubbling up every week. The start-up founders/owners are having a hard time getting their products and services up and running online, just because they are...
Let us make a collection of the popular tech channels on youtube - Google Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Google TED Talks Channel - https://www.youtube.com/TED CNET TV Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/CNETTV Google Tech Talks...