Do we need a Design/Technology course in Indian Engineering Curriculum?

Here is an ongoing discussion in UK.
Quote:
Design, technology and the National Curriculum

A group of designers and industrialists, including James Dyson and Paul Smith, have warned education secretary Michael Gove not to remove design and technology from the National Curriculum in its scheduled review next year. The subject is vital to the UK's international competitiveness, they argue. However, many people feel that the subject has lost its focus and become an uneasy mix of 'traditional' wood- and metalwork with some poorly designed computer content. Is it time that the subject was overhauled to reflect modern industrial design and manufacture practices? Or is the basis of the course in hand-skills and simple materials handling still valuable? Should we be teaching CAD, or making cupholders?

Endquote

From the Engineer Daily Tuesday 15th November 2011

How relevant is this to India? Whatever I have seen of design in the Indian curricula is a hotch potch.
On the other hand, I have also seen that kids in the US are largely clueless about even the basic arithmetic operations and reach for a calculator at the drop of a decimal. Sometimes the hbasic handskills help in creative thinking.

What do CEans feel?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote:Watch the Speed Demon make a 462 mph pass at Bonneville from many different angles in and around the car. Awesome! endquote What Does 462 MPH Feel Like? - Autoholics
I need to give a seminar on bearing capacity in interference fit with compression and shear loads. I am working on it. Can somebody help me get related Information.. Thankyou...
The 17th Question of the CE Grand Quiz Contest is as follows - [Worth 10 CE Coins] Something unusual is happening here - It was a cold friday night. Barny...
Hey Fellow CEAN's One fine day, I was looking at Pranav Mistry's project and one idea crossed my mind. Can we make a device in which we just think /...
The system, developed by Luix, is reported to be able to manage the brightness of street lights based on the presence of people and vehicles in the area. Luix claims...