Do grades really matter in engineering?

I heard from my seniors that marks won't matter,the biggest irony here is they are toppers.

Till now i never really focused more on to get good grades.To be frank,my only one thing is whether i understood the classes or not & passed the subjects or not.I am just an average student with 75% in academics.

Is 75% good percentage?Should i concentrate more to increase it?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Grades do matter, but in my opinion - they matter only till you get your first job. Afterwards, it's all your combined skills-set plus your behaviour with our bosses and colleagues that will propel you up the corporate ladder. 

75% is more than enough in Engineering. I'd say, you should score only a little above 60% so that you are eligible for all the campus placements. The rest of the study time (required to get to 75% and above) could be spend in developing other skills - like a new programming language, a software tool, public speaking, playing some musical instrument or some sport; like that. 

After being out of college for so long - I think what he said holds. Unless you are looking to get into academic career and love learning - there's no point in aiming for highest score. 

• Aswini cse
    Aswini cse

Thanks a lot for your suggestion sir ?.

• Shivam Sharma
    Shivam Sharma

#-Link-Snipped-# My personal experience is good grades always give you an edge over others, no matter what others say. In my college, people who had the highest grades in class, got direct interview calls from some companies in the city. Others had to wait for official campus recruitment drives and go through all the hectic rounds.

BTW,  75% in academics is considered awesome! Most in my college got 65-68% range because of poor internal marks.. thanks to poor attendance and not doing well on practicals..

Is your goal to get placed or to start something of your own or doing masters? Actually.. the advice changes completely if you are.. not JUST looking for a job.

For masters.. HIGH scores are a PLUS + competitive exams score. For running a startup company.. you are your own boss. you dont even need a certificate.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1)Start a YouTube channel. 2) Create playlist of each part of the website. 3) Ask us subscribe and share the channel. 
Think of classic sci-fi depictions: C-3PO and R2-D2 working with the Rebel Alliance to thwart the Empire in Star Wars, say, or HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey and...
Put five, eight, 12 or more people together in a room, and it's a crapshoot as to how well they'll function as a team. The larger the group, the more...
I need a broad guildlines on the above project topic plss
I want some suggestions about this cdac .i am interested in signal processing , signald and systems like that subjects .How can i enter into cdac