Do engineers ever Quit?

I mean seriously do they ever call it the quits. As far as I am considered I am never gonna call it the quits when it comes to innovating. Do you guys agree?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, engineers do call it quits. I've seen 20,000 engineers who give up easily.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Biggie that 20k not quit the simply leech the things mostly people comes here for that purpose if they got something or got nothing they quit this place. They are are thinking for self. Nothing else.
  • humangod
    humangod
    You are in someways right. I mean seriously, many people call it the quits, I wish they don't and I hope this forum can play a part in promoting innovation. I am sure it does.

You rock BigK! ๐Ÿ˜

The_Big_K
    Yes, engineers do call it quits. I've seen 20,000 engineers who give up easily.
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    yeah...engineers never Quit...when it comes to Innovation or when they are struggling with any problem.... That's how a engineer should be.... ๐Ÿ˜Ž

If they give up easily...then what's the reason being engineer....this is what i personally feel ๐Ÿ˜ก
  • humangod
    humangod
    I don't know if I am right here. But I don't believe that engineering is innovating. I think engineering is more towards solving problems and finding solutions. That's how we all are trained as engineers to find solutions. But now I think its high time we change and start innovating. There needs to be a huge shift in thinking. Correct me if I am wrong. ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    humangod
    I don't know if I am right here. But I don't believe that engineering is innovating. I think engineering is more towards solving problems and finding solutions. That's how we all are trained as engineers to find solutions. But now I think its high time we change and start innovating. There needs to be a huge shift in thinking. Correct me if I am wrong. ๐Ÿ˜•
    Engineering is a combination of innovation & problem solving. There are engineers who have been doing that. Take a look at our Small Talks -> https://www.crazyengineers.com/small-talk and you will see what these engineers have done.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    humangod
    But I don't believe that engineering is innovating. I think engineering is more towards solving problems and finding solutions.
    I think engineering is very innovative ๐Ÿ˜€ I've read so many new technological breakthroughs in electronics, optics, nano, communications, robotics, etc.

Perhaps innovation is such a norm in engineering (well, not in CE, yet ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) that people expect much more cooler things to come out. I think thats a common issue, which relates to why students wants to do the coolest and newest things instead of looking at existing technologies and understanding the underlying innovation in them.

Anyhow, true engineers would never quit. There's always a way to solve something, and engineers possess the gift to find it.

Something I read recently on IEEE Spectrum:

Optimist: The glass is half full
    Pessimist: The glass is half empty
    Engineer: The glass needs to be redesigned

๐Ÿ˜‰
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    ash
    Optimist: The glass is half full
    Pessimist: The glass is half empty
    Engineer: The glass needs to be redesigned

๐Ÿ˜‰
    Nice One Ash.... that explains what an engineer is.....๐Ÿ˜€
  • humangod
    humangod
    I agree that there are a lot of innovative engineers, however I think they are exceptions. Think about the millions of other engineers who don't innovate and if I am not wrong innovation is one thing, invention is another, so I don't think we could call all of them innovative.

@Big_K: I have seen the small talk, impressive

and everybody else, my point is that engineering does not teach us innovation, neither does it teach us how to be customer centric, I am actually not sure what it teaches us other than being systematic.

As always i could be wrong so criticisms welcome. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    humangod
    and everybody else, my point is that engineering does not teach us innovation, neither does it teach us how to be customer centric, I am actually not sure what it teaches us other than being systematic.
    Innovation and creativity cannot be taught. Engineering education helps you understand the applications of sciences. This indeed helps engineers innovate.
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    @ Human God......
    Yeah... what you said is exactly correct...."Now a days Lot of Engineers lack innovation"...

Innovation and Invention means same but applied in Different Contexts

Invention : Discovering something new and Novel....
    Innovation: Making the invention into commercial Product....

No one in the world teaches Innovation..rather they inspire to do innovation .... that's how it is...... :smile:
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    Innovation and creativity cannot be taught. Engineering education helps you understand the applications of sciences. This indeed helps engineers innovate.
    That is true. Learning engineering gives one the tools and skills for innovation (lots of it, in fact), but it depends on the person's urge to do so.

@anuragh27crony

I think innovation means introducing an improved and novel concept for an existing idea or process. It doesnt necessarily entail commercializing an idea. Even inventions can be turned into something commercial quickly ๐Ÿ˜€

While innovations seem "easier" to do than inventions, its by no way less amazing.
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    ash
    I think innovation means introducing an improved and novel concept for an existing idea or process. It doesnt necessarily entail commercializing an idea. Even inventions can be turned into something commercial quickly ๐Ÿ˜€
    Those definitions are obtained by googling ๐Ÿ˜Ž....thanks for correcting...๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    anuragh27crony
    Those definitions are obtained by googling ๐Ÿ˜Ž....thanks for correcting...๐Ÿ˜›
    Oh yes, you are right ๐Ÿ˜›

I'm wondering.. if an engineer faces something that seems "impossible", what should he/she do?

I think no task is impossible. There's always an alternative way to get things done ๐Ÿ˜€
  • humangod
    humangod
    The definitions sound nice, however i guess inventions are more or less are almost always a product of necessity. Innovation on the other hand is the product of genius, I hope we see more innovation because it drives change.

And an off topic question: Am I doing something wrong or is something wrong with vBulletin? When I try to change my avatar it says Invalid file, I tried giving an avatar address on my server too. I am a little lazy on this one, so the Good Admin may forgive me for posting it here ๐Ÿ˜
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    humangod
    And an off topic question: Am I doing something wrong or is something wrong with vBulletin? When I try to change my avatar it says Invalid file, I tried giving an avatar address on my server too. I am a little lazy on this one, so the Good Admin may forgive me for posting it here ๐Ÿ˜
    Posting here is not an Issue....being a new member....it is fine....

Just send _Big_K.... a private message ...explaining your problem...he is the best person to contact.... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    ash
    Oh yes, you are right ๐Ÿ˜›

I'm wondering.. if an engineer faces something that seems "impossible", what should he/she do?

I think no task is impossible. There's always an alternative way to get things done ๐Ÿ˜€
    Yeah ash...you are right....

If anyone gives their best shot to solve impossible... then it will become Possible (90%) ... ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [Off Topic] Any questions related to the site can be posted in new members' joint. There's a known issue with uploading of avatars. It will be fixed soon.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Everybody, just joined. hope will like it enough to stay. Salami
CEans, I would like all of us to discuss an important topic of investments. I'm a fan of real estate investments and I'm trying to update my knowledge about investing...
Hello... Fresh new... try to post
Hi, I have some VB Projects available that can be used for your final year project or multiple small VB Projects that can be used as reference. If you are...
Someone please answer the following questions regarding the submersible pump: 1) Why head decreases with increase in flow rate ? 2)why input power increases linearly with increase in flow rate?...