1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Do Duracell batteries last longer than other brands?

Question asked by Kaustubh Katdare in #Gadgets on Nov 29, 2019
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Nov 29, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Duracell advertises that their batteries last longer than their competitors. I'm looking to buy a pack of AA and AAA batteries and was wondering if it'd be worth shelling out more money on the brand Duracell? 

Other batteries are significantly cheaper than Duracell and I want to know if the premium we pay for Duracell is actually worth it?

Posted in: #Gadgets
Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath · Nov 29, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

I do find that they are much longer lasting than the other brands.

They do have a major drain problem (on the purse)!

Mohit Patil
Mohit Patil · Nov 30, 2019
Rank C3 - EXPERT

Simple comparison is not possible. AA batteries come in variety of types, energy contents and of course prices. A lot would also depend upon what kind of device is being powered by these batteries. 

Comparison needs to be done on batteries that are of the same types. It'd not be right to compare Ni-MH, Zinc-Carbon, Alkaline batteries with each other. You're more likely to find Zinc-Carbon batteries for dirt-cheap prices over the other batteries. Perhaps that's the reason that Duracell and other branded batteries like Panasonice, Sony and Energyzer are able to advertise that their batteries last longer. 

I typically prefer batteries > 2000 mAh. They do well in DSLR and TV remote controls. 

Refer to this excellent article on Wired Are Expensive Batteries Worth the Extra Cost?

Harshad Italiya
Harshad Italiya · Dec 1, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Fact is they do last longer then others for sure. Take same item and try Duracell and other. I have personal experience with Duracell having better life then others for sure.

Mohit Patil
Mohit Patil · Dec 1, 2019
Rank C3 - EXPERT

Have you tried Energizer batteries? I think Energizer batteries would outlast the Duracells any day. I have used them in my TV remote and they lasted for about 2 years.  

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare · Dec 2, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Yeah, Energizer batteries do last longer; but they are super expensive and difficult to get. Most of the local markets in India seem to be dominated by Eveready batteries. I've bought Duracell rechargeable batteries that I use in my computer's keyboard. With daily usage of about 7-12 hours - they go full month before dropping to < 20%. 

Apple has Ni-MH batteries that seem to have bigger mAh rating (Apple never mentions the actual values). 

Duracell does last longer; but I'm wondering if the premium I pay is actually worth it. I could buy the regular AA and AAA batteries in bulk and save a lot. I'll try comparing them and post my observations in this discussion.

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up