Do Anti-Virus Software Work? How To Select Best Anti-Virus Software?

Do anti viruses really work????????????
How to judge the best among the various anti viruses available in the market?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anti-virus is dirty business.
    The company which develops the "Anti-virus" software, is the same company which spreads the virus over internet.
    Only very harmful virus are spreaded by black-hat hackers for unethical acts.

divya nair
    How to judge the best among the various anti viruses available in the market?
    You simply can't judge any anti-virus. One virus can detect certain virus while other can't.Some have definition of some viruses other don't have.
    You can't install two anti-virus together in an OS,so you won't get rid of all type of viruses.

Best & simple solution : Use Ubuntu #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Precaution is better than cure

As abhishek said there is no such antivirus in market that will really prevent from virus intruding your system, so especially for window users

There are only two ways through which virus can enter your system.

Pen drives: Avoid using any pen drives in your system unless really necessary

Computer Websites: Use avg link scanner on your system
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    AVG link scanner or any link scanner really loads your system a lot So I think better to be anti virus free in a system Why intrude into unknown areas while you have so many resources here and in other similar forums like these
  • mail154
    mail154
    There is No Product in antivirus as the "best". Each one is different. If You want to get free one,you may settle with avast free. avast also has commercial version. Norton is a Good Anti-virus but it is very bad when it comes to slow system as it degrades performance. We may say a anti-virus good but never best.AVG,MSE and Quickheal are other good ones
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    for Windows environment, Microsoft Security Essentials is a also reliable. windows defender is an excellent feature, point is you should know how to configure it. Once set, there is no other need for external antivirus software. Only Microsoft antivirus products dont circulate viruses or malwares. Rest each and every other company distributes virus for their business.

If you wanna test, install McAfee antivirus in some system and scan the Quickheal installation CD on it, it will show virus in quickheal installation cd itself. Same goes with other combinations. So none of the external antiviruses are completely reliable. For good security, configure the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. MSE can be added as extra but these two are self sufficient.
  • Chinmay Joshi
    Chinmay Joshi
    Ya you cant rate any anti anti-virus over other. Each one has there own set of viruses to detect. You never know even your anti virus would have virus in it.. 😛
  • Preetika
    Preetika
    according to me.......kaspersky,,,,MS-security essentials are best.......kaspersky bcoz....it track all kind of viruses including trojan horses.......and security essential bcoz......it is free of cost and by microsoft.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Beebone Virus is creating havoc in the Indian computer networks, reports ET. The newly discovered virus has infected Indian cyberspace and the security experts have issued an alert to all...
Free webinar on23rd July 2013: https://www.globalspec.com/events/eventregister?eventId=386
As per the norms of KYCE once a KYCE is ready we must put out a teaser to commemorate Well as many people asked It is KYCEan Abhishek Rawal this...
I was on the bus to the train station earlier today, and I noticed a small ford hatchback with large Nokia decals buzzing passed. What caught my attention was the...
through cdac 2013 . i got IACSD pune in first councilling. i want to know placents from this centre . i"m confused whether i should join this course ... plz...