Ditch the jargon to build rapport with tomorrow’s engineers

Quote:
“What’s an engineer?” “Why are you an engineer?” “Engineering has a bad reputation for children. We grow up learning that we should aspire to be scientists, teachers, doctors etc. We want to earn good money and in my mindset that is the opposite to being an engineer? What made you come into this industry?”
These are all questions I was asked by students during I'm an Engineer, Get me out of here! – An engineering education and engagement event!, an online Science Technology Engineering Maths (STEM) engagement project that connects school students and engineers.
Answering those questions and explaining your job to your engineering peers is easy, explaining it to school students is completely different. In June 2017, I applied for I’m an Engineer. I was selected for the Smart Materials zone, aiming to engage with the students and expose them to engineering. End quote
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ditch ground floors to protect buildings from tsunamis, study suggests
The Facebook-owned WhatsApp is consistently working on new features to improve the user experience of its instant messaging platform which is currently used by over a billion people. For Android...
The South-Korean consumer electronics giant, Samsung is all set to launch its latest flagships Galaxy S9 and S9+ in India today. The said smartphones were first unveiled at MWC Barcelona...
Hello! I am student at master PSGISDD( Spatial Planning and GIS for sustainable development ) and I need some ideas for the final dissertation project . I finished geodesic engineering....
I have done my MTech in Geotech and now working with MNC but now I m planing to do MS in structural so I want to knw about the -...