Disney's Haptics Technology Conveys A Virtual Object's Texture Via Vibrations In Touchscreen

Researchers at the Disney Lab have formulated a new technology wherein people can actually experience the texture of a particular object being displayed in the touchscreen, the texture being conveyed through small vibrations. The method involves transmitting small vibrations via the display to imitate the sensation of shallow bumps or edges of an object. Researcher Dr Ali Israr and team are responsible for this technology, and they claim that this vibration-causing algorithm could be easily housed in the available touchscreen systems. The report further stated the more noticeable a feature (say the surface of a pineapple), the greater is the vibration needed to imitate its feel.

Tactile-Bump-image4b

Ivan Poupyrev, Chief of Interaction Research group in Pittsburgh stated that the human brain registers 3D bump on a surface basically due the info it gathers due to the stretching of skin. He added that to fool the brain, the vibrations transmitted through the touchscreen artificially stretch the fingers causing a make-believe scenario of the bump for the brain to interpret.

Isar believes that this vibration system is more flexible than other existing tactile-feedback recording systems, and with the algorithms available, they've a set of controls at their disposal that allows them to tune tactile effects to a specific visual object.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friends every body knows that current flows across the metals and the railway track and the rail compartments all are metal . So friends my question os that of...
i want any one to help me in my project . my project is to take infromatiom from gps module and send this information by gsm module to no. and...
Hi CEans I am Sarath kumar .C doing my automobile engineering.I have planned to do my project in Brakes India in Brakes but I am bit confused on the question...
Amazon.in - the Indian online store for Amazon has launched a new Android app to browse through its online catalogue and buy stuff from Amazon right through your smartphone. Everyone...
Porsche India - the premium sports car brand from Volkswagen, famous for the tagline 'There is no Substitute', has launched the second generation of its four-seater sports car Panamera at...