discussion about memory

.what is the difference between the memory in the phone
and the memory in the computer,i.e. if how is memory made in mobile phones and how is it made in computer systems,,and if i say 4 GB memory in phones,so is it the same in proportion as my 4GB RAM in computer

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    4GB is 4GB everywhere no matter where it is used. However, when we say memory in PC it implies to the DRAM but when we say memory in mobile, it generally refers to the internal flash storage in mobile.

DRAM and Flash are two different technologies. DRAMs are faster and dense but are volatile. Flash on the other hand is non-volatile hence you can retain the data even without any power. But if we talk about RAM in mobile, it's generally LP-DDRs which is like a little stripped version of actual DDRs to save power and area in mobile devices. If you're interested, you can go to #-Link-Snipped-# . JEDEC owns the DDR standard and the specifications are downloadable for free.
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    [Prototype]
    4GB is 4GB everywhere no matter where it is used. However, when we say memory in PC it implies to the DRAM but when we say memory in mobile, it generally refers to the internal flash storage in mobile.

DRAM and Flash are two different technologies. DRAMs are faster and dense but are volatile. Flash on the other hand is non-volatile hence you can retain the data even without any power. But if we talk about RAM in mobile, it's generally LP-DDRs which is like a little stripped version of actual DDRs to save power and area in mobile devices. If you're interested, you can go to #-Link-Snipped-# . JEDEC owns the DDR standard and the specifications are downloadable for free.
    if 4 GB in ram and in flash memory are same then how come data stored is more in a pc than in a mobile phone,so basically what material is used for the purpose of design of flash memory in mobile phone and what is its comparison with the transistor and semiconductor used to make up a dram
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    radha gogia
    if 4 GB in ram and in flash memory are same then how come data stored is more in a pc than in a mobile phone,so basically what material is used for the purpose of design of flash memory in mobile phone and what is its comparison with the transistor and semiconductor used to make up a dram
    I do not know how you came to the conclusion that 4 GB of data stored is more in pc than in a mobile phone. Please elaborate?

As I said above, 4GB is 4GB everywhere!

Technically speaking, flash and RAM cannot be compared as flash is a technology/concept to build a memory while RAM is an application. You can very well build a RAM with flash memory but it'll be slower since the process it takes for storing and erasing in flash will be always slower than charging and discharging of capacitor (which is exactly how the memory in DRAM works).
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    [Prototype]
    I do not know how you came to the conclusion that 4 GB of data stored is more in pc than in a mobile phone. Please elaborate?

As I said above, 4GB is 4GB everywhere!

Technically speaking, flash and RAM cannot be compared as flash is a technology/concept to build a memory while RAM is an application. You can very well build a RAM with flash memory but it'll be slower since the process it takes for storing and erasing in flash will be always slower than charging and discharging of capacitor (which is exactly how the memory in DRAM works).
    I am able to get it but i could not understand that RAM is an application becoz it is a memory made up of capacitors, if it is an application then what builds it up more than the memory cells
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    radha gogia
    I am able to get it but i could not understand that RAM is an application becoz it is a memory made up of capacitors, if it is an application then what builds it up more than the memory cells
    Flash memory can work as RAM and also as ROM. So, technically RAM or ROM is considered as an application depending on how we use the Flash memory.
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    Abhishek Rawal
    Flash memory can work as RAM and also as ROM. So, technically RAM or ROM is considered as an application depending on how we use the Flash memory.
    so it means that dram is not actually ram,its just that we make up a memory of capacitors and that what is a flip-flop and it stores the contents dynamically
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    radha gogia
    so it means that dram is not actually ram,its just that we make up a memory of capacitors and that what is a flip-flop and it stores the contents dynamically
    No No No! In my previous comment I was talking about Flash memory that can act like ROM as well as RAM.So yeah, if we consider Flash memory, RAM or ROM can be considered as an application, it depends on how we use it. It's an analogy.
    But DRAMs! DRAM is VM where data is lost once power is lost, so it is perfect as a function of RAM.
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    Abhishek Rawal
    No No No! In my previous comment I was talking about Flash memory that can act like ROM as well as RAM.So yeah, if we consider Flash memory, RAM or ROM can be considered as an application, it depends on how we use it. It's an analogy.
    But DRAMs! DRAM is VM where data is lost once power is lost, so it is perfect as a function of RAM.
    i got RAM is just a technology used to indicate the fact of accesing memory locations in a random manner ,and we differentiate it on the basis of components we use it to make it up but the major criteria is to access the locations randomly but still i cant understand why flash is slow in its processing..
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    radha gogia
    i got RAM is just a technology used to indicate the fact of accesing memory locations in a random manner ,and we differentiate it on the basis of components we use it to make it up but the major criteria is to access the locations randomly but still i cant understand why flash is slow in its processing..
    I roughly mentioned this earlier. Its mainly due to the difference in the way they both store the data. Flash uses hot injection or tunneling while MOS memory (the one use in RAM) is just charging and discharging of capacitor. Without going into the process detail, the process of tunneling takes more time that charging a MOS capacitor hence making it slower.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Which of the followings are equal things when there is only one CPU in a system. A)Multiprogramming and Multitasking B)Multiprocessing and Multiprogramming C)Multitasking and Multiprocessing D)None of these plz explain...
what is the major difference in operating system of windows architecture and linux operatins system architecture and does'nt window has kernel??? I also wanted to know the need of kernel...
XOLO does it again by bringing one of the latest features in an Android smartphone at an affordable price in India. Launched today, the XOLO Q2100 features fingerprint sensor that...
Alcatel has announced the India launch of its Firefox OS smartphone at a press event held yesterday. The Alcatel Onetouch Fire C comes with a dirt-cheap price tag of Rs....
Howdy CEans, I'm about to buy a phone, and thinking of Moto G 2nd Generation. After sales service would be much appreciated. Please don't suggest any company like Micromax, Lava,...