Discussion About 'Liquid Metal' & Its Uses In Engineering

I've been stumbling upon the term 'Liquid Metal' many times these days and found out that it's a new alloy on the block that's finding growing applications in electronics, gadgets, aeronautical engineering and so on. Here's some more information about Liquid Metal: #-Link-Snipped-#

It's even being said that this alloy will be used by Apple in their next path-breaking device (which we don't know yet, but iPhone 5 may have Liquid Metal body).

Can metallurgy engineers throw some light on it?

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I thought Mercury was the liquid metal 😕
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    I've been stumbling upon the term 'Liquid Metal' many times these days and found out that it's a new alloy on the block that's finding growing applications in electronics, gadgets, aeronautical engineering and so on. Here's some more information about Liquid Metal: #-Link-Snipped-#
    It's even being said that this alloy will be used by Apple in their next path-breaking device (which we don't know yet, but iPhone 5 may have Liquid Metal body). Can metallurgy engineers throw some light on it?
    The so called liquid metals are likely to be metallic glasses. The common or garden glass that we use daily is in fact a 'supercooled' liquid, though it is rigid and can shatter on shock. It has an amorphous structure.
    All metals and alloys are crystalline, which restricts some performance. Metallic glasses are relatively new kid on the block. (My wife use to work on those in a CSIR lab a few years back.)

These have some unusual properties. However, as SS said Mercury is the best known liquid metal as also Gallium (at least in the tropics). There is little you can use them for except in thermometers, position sensitive switches and such.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I am thinking homemade custom parts for hobbyists.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Jolivi.com is your online shoppe for all things kitchen. The online store stuffs everything from Cookware, Dinnerware to Barware and storage boxes. Looks like the store is offering discounts on...
Railroads are the best and most fuel efficient way to transport goods over land and the engineers at GE Global Research are using cutting edge science to improve the efficiency...
Joshua Topolsky interviews Ford CEO Alan Mulally where they talk about Alan Mulally's time at Boeing, new alternative energy sources, and how space exploration inspired Mulally to become an engineer....
Hi Dears, Good Day I have a doubt in basic electrical/electronics engineering. My Question is Does the current depends upon the load resistance ? For example I am going to...
The concept of developing a hybrid electric aircraft, is it a feasible option? We can see that there are obvious drawbacks in carrying heavy batteries as a power source on...