Discovery Curiosity - Can You Live Forever? [Debate!]

What would it be like to be immortal?

As human beings we are limited to how much time we have in life. By taking care of our bodies with exercise and healthy eating, we can easily live up to 100 years, but our body will still slowly weaken if we like it or not. Even an accident or natural occurrence can change that at any time causing problems inside the body and out and possibly even death. Fortunately, with how science is progressing, that could all change.

Curiosity: Can You Live Forever, the show that shows possibilities the future holds with current technology and ideas existing today that may very well change how we live. For an hour, Mythbuster's Adam Savage is placed in different situations starting from present 2011 and ending around the 2900โ€ฒs, making him the first man to reach 1000 yrs old. Along the way he meets complications as a normal human would, including how it all starts, being hit by a truck. From that point, Adam's life is in the hands of science and some amazing things are talked about as well as shown. Now while most things are a what if, it looks like any and everything is possible with the creativity of humans, including no longer having shorter lifespans and even having the ability to live forever if you so chose to. That can be a pretty tough choice and watching Curiosity may give you a glimpse of what can occur given that decision.

I am interested in knowing the views of fellow CEans.
Let your thoughts flow in around this topic.

Replies

• eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    comic2-1575
  • K Vikrant
    K Vikrant
    What does the word 'forever' mean in these studies ?

Does it mean a very long time as compared to the present lifespan of humans ? One does feel from time to time that the present lifespan is not long enough to set one's affairs in order. But then coming to think of it , no matter what our lifespan is we will crave for longer lifespans provided the health doesn't deteriorate.
    This makes one wonder about the limiting case.

In that case does the word 'forever' mean that
    any value of t > 0 is a valid age for a human being born after such a discovery, where 't' is the age of a human being ? (for the current crop of human beings a value of t > 130 years is not valid a one , according to our knowledge)

I find this second case rather interesting. It means one is talking of immortality. Even though I find talking about it interesting ,I find immortality in itself quite boring. I mean how will an immortal person spend his/her time after Heat Death Of The Universe happens ?
  • ProdigiousJ
    ProdigiousJ
    Very interesting concept but the main issue would be the population overload. We would have to master the science behind wormholes and/or teleportation first. Opening up wormholes has been proven possible as it does not defy the laws of physics. The only problem is sustaining the wormhole because you would need quite a bit of negative energy. Negative energy is difficult to produce in large quantities. Teleportation has also been proven by the illustration of a group 100 atoms being teleported from one place to another. It is thought that in 300 years the science of wormholes could be mastered. If this is the case then we could more easily find more planets and moons to support life. The short-lasting television series, "Firefly", is a good example of how they traveled the universe and there was life on various planets and moons. Earth could act as a train station with multiple wormholes leading to different planets and moons. That would take care of the population issue. Man do i wish i could live to see that!
  • K Vikrant
    K Vikrant
    Well , if the human race were to 'truly' become immortal they could survive without oxygen and hence could use up the other planets in the solar system too. But I feel such extreme definition of immortality in which the person who is immortal is also indestructible is a very flawed concept.
    For instance most scientists postulate that according to the Second Law Of Thermodynamics Heat Death Of The Universe , our universe will undergo Heat Death Of The Universe . How does an immortal being escape this fate of the universe ? One could build as many wormholes as one wanted, but how to escape the universe itself ? Of course, this is expected to occur 10^500 years later and the universe won't be able to sustain life Graphical Timeline From Big Bang To Heat Death than that. So one could hope to enjoy a very long life till that period . But technically, true immortality won't be reached.

P.S - All this discussion implicitly assumes that human beings learn to live peacefully in co-existence with each other and with the environment. What's more, all their scientific endeavors will need to be successful and not end in an apocalypse.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Ooh... Nice one... But anything and everything has a limit. Like, our Earth and Solar System will be destroyed by the Big Crunch in some millions of years later! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • ProdigiousJ
    ProdigiousJ
    Yea i think one would become very bored if they literally could not die. But i wouldn't mind if the medical field got very advanced and could save people no matter what. They would have to allow a choice for the person to live or not which is kind of scary to think about.
    ProdigiousJ
    Yea i think one would become very bored if they literally could not die. But i wouldn't mind if the medical field got very advanced and could save people no matter what. They would have to allow a choice for the person to live or not which is kind of scary to think about.
    Still people are dying due to cancer! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    I sometimes wonder, are we going to live forever because these laws of thermodynamics ๐Ÿ˜› made me to think like that. A quote "Energy can neither be created nor be destroyed." It has the possibility to become true(except in the case black hole) and can be applicable to any form of energy even if it's a machine like Human. Hence, nothing will be destroyed and we haven't experienced one yet because everything changes to one form or other ๐Ÿ˜Ž.

"Science and fiction were always inter-related in these aspects"

To live forever it'll require super natural medical attention and great mental strength, there were some holy books like Mahabharata saying that our ancestors ruled this earth for thousands of years(which looked fictional but we had seen many evidences to support them). It might be possible and if it's, one can live forever but ultimately only matter will sustain in this earth until the demon comes out of the dark cloud(Black Hole).
  • ProdigiousJ
    ProdigiousJ
    Praveen-Kumar
    Still people are dying due to cancer! ๐Ÿ˜”
    I saw something on the news the other day about this young college girl who might have found a cure.
    ProdigiousJ
    I saw something on the news the other day about this young college girl who might have found a cure.
    Please share the link, when you find it again buddy...
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    ProdigiousJ
    I think I read the news too, some Chinese girl if I'm not mistaken.
  • ProdigiousJ
    ProdigiousJ
    I wish i could remember where i saw it
  • er.h3m4l
    er.h3m4l
    Living forever thing suck in fact one should focus on living Fruitfully to contribute something positive to our society...
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Read #-Link-Snipped-#.
    Check this video:

Reminds me of another prodigy, (late) Arfa Karimwho became a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) at the age of 9 years.
    It pained after hearing the news of Arfa... ๐Ÿ˜”

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Whenever I turn on my BSNL broadband connection, I get lot of disturbance in the phone line. The phone is connected in one room and the modem is connected in...
Shahrukh Khan's son, Aryan and his friend explain their project on preventing Mumbai's rainwater problem. Take a look -
Can you please suggest me some good books for Computer hardware? I found karbos guide in internet. Is it good? It would be also nice if you suggest me some...
Hey guys... I would like to buy a tablet for professional use... My requirements are 1. Compatibility with various document file formats (pdf,doc,ppt,xl etc) 2. WiFi and 3G 3. Use...
The facebook messenger for windows desktop got leaked few hours ago and now an official download is available on Facebook's website. If you're one of those who prefer accessing the...