Digital Passports - Why aren't passports digital yet?

I've been wondering why passports are still the old school paper books with Jurassic stamps on them? Why haven't the passports gone digital yet? Are there any serious issues with it? I'd like to carry a smart-card as my passport than carry a bulky book that has stamps and needs me to 'update' it once it runs out of pages.

I might be missing something very obvious here; but I want a serious thought on this. Do you think it's feasible to make all the regular passports digital?

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anything of value should not be digitized. It'd loose the essence, lots of frauds could occur and it is not yet certified as a valid proof. If a passport was digitized, it'd loose the credibility of original stamps, exits, clearences, residency permits, etc. This issue called in general as 'paperwork' reduces the possibility of fraud as these stamps, permits, etc are obatined from different places; when compared to a digital version of the same, easy editing can be done. For the same reason, the Property agreements, Car insurance, and any other form of agreement are signed on paper.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Humans have digitized money; everything else is of lesser importance 😀 . I however can understand the thought that you're putting forth. I think digitisation helps minimising the fraud. Maybe this should be a separate debate. I'll start it right away.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Since the introduction of biometric passports several attacks are presented and demonstrated.
    You can find details about the attacks done on digital passports on the wiki page here: Biometric Passport Attacks

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Tata Consultancy Services continues to be the biggest IT services and consulting company in India and the company has announced that they're sticking to their recruitment plan for the...
Guys, I am facing a problem where the pressure gages fail often... How to make a root cause analysis for the same?
Day before yesterday, many places in M.P. experienced earthquake of intensity upto 5. I also felt my bed and tv shaking.. The reason said is the mining going on at...
Hey hi guys.. this is Abdul Rahman a graduated mechanical engineer from Chennai currently working in Dubai as a trainee engineer. My hobbies are playing snooker and 10-pin bowling &...
LAKSHMI A MENON COMPUTER SCIENCE DOING MY B TECH IN GOVT COLLEGE OF ENGG KANNUR