Difference b/w Sheet & Plate

Hey guys... What is the difference between a metal sheet & a metal plate?

I mean the thickness benchmark to differentiate both....?

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    There are more differences than just plate / sheet .

Cast Tool & Jig Plate (words may be in other combinations) like Precision Jig Plate!

This is actually a cast Plate than has been surfaced for flattness and acurate thickness,
    It has perhaps 1/4 the tensil strength of formed plate ! and should not be used where heavy loading or stresses are a consideration , unless thickness is increased appropriately. Threads pull out easilly , and a tap can gum-up without sufficient lubing!
    It is fairly cooperative to welding, but a little gap should be left between fitted peices, as the welds contract severely when cooling!

2024 is the most common high-strength plate , offered in a few tempers (I think)
    threads are strong , it is reallatively free-machining...flatness and size vary a little and it distorts considerably when large areas are sawed or machined away...
    You won't be bending this stuff!

6061 If you can find it in plate (more commonly bought in flat bars) say 1/2" X 10" X 20'
    is more cooperative to welding , more stable when machined away , sortof better than middle ground as far as strength...

sheets are the sections say 1/8" and thinner Plate can be 1/8" and up with some sises overlapping...
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    one basic difference : thicknesses below 3 mm are called as sheets . above that they are plates
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    zaveri
    one basic difference : thicknesses below 3 mm are called as sheets . above that they are plates
    Is this really true?
    i mean is this equation is fixed?
    or you are just guessing?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is just usage.
    In fabricationengineering, sheet metal fabrication machines are different from plate handling machines.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Kedar Malwadkar
    Is this really true?
    i mean is this equation is fixed?
    or you are just guessing?
    no it is fixed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys... I would like to convert my final year project into a national journal.... Please suggest me a few tips to do it effectively....
I'm still new to this subject. Given that i1(t)= (√2)sin2t[A]. 1.Find current i2(t). 2.Find the effective power(current consumption) in the entire circuit. And here is my attempt for number 1:
This scenic beauty is located in Cherrapunji which is in Meghalaya, India. No one can believe at first that this place is in India. But IT IS . Enjoy the...
what is easier to pull a stationary thing or to push it? whereas the ideal conditions are considered such as friction is same for both.
Hey guys, I just had an idea of creating 'Meet the Staff' pages on our community. Something similar to what they have done here - https://urbanfantastic.com/pages/benaaronovitch/ Do you think it...