difference between ethernet and gigabit lan switch?

as the title says, i want to know what exactly is the difference between the two.

#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#

I need to buy one for an upcoming gaming(around 60,000 INR per pcs) cum internet cafe for my friend. the price difference is big but I dont know exactly what is the practical difference between the two.

is there any other specification i must pay attention to ?

which one should i go for ?

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I doubt your friend needs gigabit capacity (1000Mbps), unless he is operating some datacenter! The 10/100 switch would be sufficient enough for his gaming cafe. 100Mbps throughput (or practically around 70Mbps) per port is more than enough for LAN gaming, especially when the switch is rated at a maximum of 4.8Gbps of simultaneous traffic capacity. For general internet use, the choke point would be the WAN connection, so its still not much of an issue.

I would pay attention to a good router though, one with a load balancing feature perhaps. Money should be invested in that 😛
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    exactly what I wanted! thanks a lot ash😀

I may sound stupid but could you explain the router thing. I mean, the ISP to be used for the cafe will be BSNL, and they will provide a single cable which I need to plug in to the switch (n from there to rest of the pcs) right ? so where does the router come in ??
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Sorry for late reply. Basically, a router will be required to connect different networks together (like the net) or networks with different subnets. It also acts as the gateway in which the computers in the cafe will connect to, so it is required.

What type of connection is BSNL providing? DSL? The cable will usually connect to the modem. Most modems have router capability in them these days, so you'll just need to hook this modem to the switch via a LAN cable. If you can get an additional ISP, you can get a load balancing router to utilize both connections 😀
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    ash
    What type of connection is BSNL providing? DSL?
    yes its dsl

The cable will usually connect to the modem. Most modems have router capability in them these days, so you'll just need to hook this modem to the switch via a LAN cable.
    This is the answer I was looking for. I wasn't able to figure whether we are using a separate router. Modems are similar devices but they are used as the connection is for single users only.

In this case, which modem should I go for, for using in the cafe along with the switch?
    BSNL gives an option for buying the model/router from them or getting it on our own.
    Can you suggest one ??

If you can get an additional ISP, you can get a load balancing router to utilize both connections 😀
    I dont think there would be a need for an additional ISP as there aren't many options in the area. But thanks for the info, didnt know this thing about load balancing between multiple ISPS 😀
    thanks

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CFO of Priceline.com, Mr. Ron Rose is joining Dell as Senior Vice President. Rose will report directly to the Dell supremo, Mr. Michael Dell. Ron's responsibilities will include Dell's entire...
Here's a mail that was forwarded by one of the YouTube Partners: Dear Partner, We want to provide you with an update on YouTube’s new video page, which we’ve been...
Now call it a wishful thinking; but I'd really like a company like Apple to come up with its own web search engine, and make it available on its main...
Name: Haris Engineering Trade: Mechanical Eng. Location: Malaysia Occupation: Student Work Experience: - Hobbies & Interests: Travelling & explore new things Aim in life: To be professional engineer I joined...
On March 30, Google announced the launch of a new tool to find product information online in India. Google's new shopping tool - erstwhile available in U.S. and European countries...