Difference Between D-Sub & DVI-D ?

First, I connected D-sub pin to D-sub port of video card & I started the PC, the display was clear.
Then, I connected DVI-D pin with DVI port & did the same, the display was again same.
So, what's the real difference between D-Sub & DVI-D ? I see no difference then what's purpose of using DVI rather than D-sub?
DVI sends audio & video data simultaneously like HDMI ? ๐Ÿ˜•

Replies

• Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    DVI-D is digital interface & D-sub is analog...
    In Dsub digital data is converted to analog transfered over the cable..
    Dvi-d directly transfers digital data & is much superior..
    dvi & hdmi are electrically same .only difference that dvi cannot transmit audio ..
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Cyborg 009
    Dvi-d directly transfers digital data & is much superior..
    Then why we don't see any difference in the output ? I can't find single improvement in visual when I switched from D-sub to DVI-D. Why ? ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    As #-Link-Snipped-# said, the D-Sub is the analog one and DVI-D is the digital one. In my opinion all the digital connections would more or less look the same quality but with VGA (D-Sub) you should see some different. I see that on the TV the digital connection offers a noticeable improvement in the overall picture quality.

I didn't play with the cables much; but curious to know if changing the resolution makes any difference?

Also, check if you can play the games with full resolution supported by your monitor.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Okay, I reconnected D-sub with D-sub port of Monitor and checked the clearity;
    & then connected DVI with DVI port of monitor, tested it.
    There is no change, I re-assure you.

Can anyone test it on their gadgets ? I honestly see no change ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • lal
    lal
    Analog signals are more affected by noise. Right? If that is right, D-Sub can suffer from more interference.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    lal
    Analog signals are more affected by noise. Right? If that is right, D-Sub can suffer from more interference.
    Yes, but it is not. Any reason behind that ?
    BTW within 2 days I will buy D-sub to DVI adaptor & will report the result here, I am sure there won't be any loss in display quality even if I use adaptor.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    As long as you use quality cables for analog transmission (D-sub), you can't notice the difference between the two.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anand Tamariya
    As long as you use quality cables for analog transmission (D-sub), you can't notice the difference between the two.
    Please help in this too : HDTV & PC Monitor Simultaneous Connection Query.
    I am dying to connect two monitors together if possible. No replies since morning on that thread ๐Ÿ˜–
  • Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    Difference gets obvious when cable length is more ..
    d sub will suffer from color distortion@ higher resolution..
    my graphics card detects dvi d as hdcp compliant.
    i hav experienced screen tearing & blurry text with dsub.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Cyborg 009
    i hav experienced screen tearing & blurry text with dsub.
    RCA can cause blurs, but D-sub ? I don't think so!
    However I connected D-sub to DVI converter, it cost me around 75 bucks. Tested it with DVI-D port. Nothing appears on screen ๐Ÿ˜ก
    Now, what could be the reason ? ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    #-Link-Snipped-#, what comparison tests are you doing? Displaying the desktop or playing games?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Right now, just displaying desktops : But I wanna know the real difference between DVI-D & D-sub. Here CEans are saying that you see blurs in image in D-sub & DVI-D will be crystal clear.
    Honestly, I see no change in both. So, if there's no change then what's use of DVI-D ?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    DVI (and HDMI) is more useful if you are playing hi res gaming & HD/bluray videos where digital signalling trumps over analog (in terms of quality degrading loss). Other than that, D-sub is sufficient.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# So as I am not playing games in pure HD i.e 1920 x 1080, it doesn't matter whether I choose D-sub or DVI-D, right ?
    I tried both port & played for few minutes in TF2 & I noticed no change in display quality. Maybe because I am using 1366x768 (native 720p) ?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    However I connected D-sub to DVI converter, it cost me around 75 bucks. Tested it with DVI-D port. Nothing appears on screen ๐Ÿ˜ก
    Okay, I found the solution :
    In D-sub to DVI converter. DVI was analog one i.e. DVI-A, there are two DVI pins DVI-D (digital) & DVI-A (Analog). I read in few forums that D-sub to DVI-D is not possible. (it is possible but the adapter costs around 35$ so not worth it )

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

VLC Media Player for iOS, the app that went on a leave couple of years back, is now launched again. VLC, the multi-format video player has gone live in some...
The Reserve Bank Of India isn't quite popular among the tech community in the country. The master bank has known to have it's own 'weird' thoughts about technology (read the...
After Apple announced the new Macbook Air 2013, people got their heads blown away with the battery life the machine offered. It's no wonder that several people booked their Airs...
Just a couple of days back we told you about the Lenovo Ideapad A1000 launch in India and now we're back with some more news from the Chinese manufacturer. It's...
We've been writing about the Blackberry & Indian government love affair for a long time. The two seem to stay with each other but can't get to agree on the...