Difference between B.E and B.Tech

hi..

Could anybody please tell what excatly is the difference between B.E and B.Tech.....I know both are simply know as engineering.....but what is the reason they both have different names???any guesses???

Replies

• suddu225
    suddu225
    hi friends,
    B.E - Degree Offered by OU
    B.Tech - Degree Offered by JNTU

B.E stands for Bachelor of Engineering while B.Tech stands for Bachelor of Technology. These degrees are typically awarded to the students of engineering upon completion of course. It would be important to notice that the engineering course differs in different states all over India and all the leading independent Universities in India have their own courses. So there's no 'real' difference between these two degrees.

There are several colleges that offer B.E, which is more common among these two degrees while the IITs and other leading institutes offer B.Tech. Chemical engineers typically get the B.Tech degree while most other engineering disciplines are awarded the B.E degree.

I hope this will clear some confusion about the difference between B.E and B.Tech degrees.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I think it depends on the course you are choosing. Like, if he course has "technology", you'll get a B.Tech. If it has "Engineering" in it's name, you get a B.E.

Foe ex.,
    If you choose Information Technology or Biotechnology, you get B.Tech.
    And if you choose computer science or electronics, you get B.E.

Not sure, though.
    Just a guess!!

And ideally, it shouldn't matter too. Both B.E and B.Tech have the same value, I guess!!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    silverscorpion
    If you choose Information Technology or Biotechnology, you get B.Tech.
    And if you choose computer science or electronics, you get B.E.

Not sure, though.
    Just a guess!!
    Yes, its not like that. Computer Science also get B.Tech (I am an example 😉 )
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    oh! I see..

Sorry then. No idea!!
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    I think B.E. basically stresses on conceptual clarification.But B.Tech stresses on practical exposure of concepts.Both are equivalent degrees and syllabus of both are also almost equal.
  • swapnakumar
    swapnakumar
    B.E. is offered by Osmania while Btech is offered by JNTU Be syllabus is updated every 5yrs and Btech is done almost in two/three yrs.
  • hemayun
    hemayun
    it depends upon the university under which we study.. Anna university gives B.E. degree while Pondicherry University gives B.Tech.. I'm sure about it
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    hi...
    Almost the answer is already given by hemayun... I agreed with that....There is no difference between B.E and B.Tech.. The degree will be given according to the university we have studied.. Similar to this is B.L and L.L.B...the both degrees are same for Law..But the degree will be assigned with respect to the university we studied...

I hope it is right....

Do u know???????
    WINNERS DONT DO DIFFERENT THINGS..THEY DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY..i.e. An
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Hello,
    BE is knowledge oriented in general.

B Tech is skill oriented.

Now-a-days, nobody is caring of the difference. Its only University dependency. Strictly speaking, BE is more theoretical and B Tech is more practical. In BE we study the reasons also in depth. In B Tech we concentrate on skills. Deciding what is greater degree is dependent on the application/job you are doing. Engineers feel that BE is greater then B Tech. Hands-on-experience is preferable to knowledge in many countries (not in INDIA. In India, knowledge is only provided. People are not interested in hands-on-experience.) In many countries, an Engineer without skill is not an Engineer. To focus this point, B Tech course was developed. This way B Tech is greater than BE.
    Now, there is no difference in both.
  • hassanimraan
    hassanimraan
    hi... i hope ths will help u undrstanding the difference

here in pakistan, here are two types of studies after 10th standard. these are
    1) A-level/ F.Sc(this is the formal education that deals with basics and concepts do not deals with any particular field. subjects are chemistry, physics, math , biology etc)
    2) diploma in assosiate engg. (this is technical education that is based on practical work in particular field ie electronics, mechanical, civil etc)
    aftr completion of ether of these you have to move towards the bachelors degree. (infact diploma holders are called diploma engineers and have edge to get a technical job without bachlrs degree).
    now again B.E is conceptual study but practical is also at its peak. so A-level/FSc students always go for BE. as diploma holders have only practical studies background. they might have some problems in studing the concepts etc but they are sharp in practical. so a different study plan was introduced for them specially. that is Btech.
    infact, sharp diploma engg may go for BE. and vice versa.
  • cbipraveen
    cbipraveen
    This is an another common question like who's a better scientist Einstein or Newton?😕😕

Another common question among engineering students and usually a question of argument between friends is what is the difference between B.Tech and BE, which is better or have better scope. Similarly for M.Tech too, what is the difference between M.Tech and ME. I searched for it and found many forums are filled with non satisfying replies. I will present a most reasonable and valid difference between these two.😀

First please note that there is no difference between these degrees in terms of value and scope. BE and B.Tech have smilar scope and future and on the same time ME and M.Tech have same scope future.
    Now let’s dig the question little deep.😒
    If BE and B.Tech or ME and M.Tech have same value and scope why the names are different. 😔
    Right after independence of India we have two types of universities, one that offers degrees in many fields like Sciences, Arts, Education and Engineering too, and the second set of universities (were named as institutes) offer only degrees in engineering. Universities those offer other degrees along with engineering named their engineering degree as BE (Bachelor of Engineering) and Institute constituted for only Engineering studies named their degree as B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology).
    Now as AICTE approve courses most of the courses are same and identical for BE and B.Tech. The universities those offering BE when started new courses named them to B.Tech too.
    No degree, BE or B.Tech and ME or M.Tech is superior other others in terms of theory or experiment. BE and B.Tech or ME and M.Tech are same. Both of them are same and have similar scope and future. If there is some notification for BE, B.Tech’s are also eligible to apply and vise versa.

With regards
    praveen
  • Shah Vish
    Shah Vish
    Some Misconceptions are :-

B.Tech is offered by government institutes and BE is offered by private institutes.
    There is absolutely no truth in this. Institutes like Netaji Subash Institute of Technology, University of Mumbai (Department of Chemical Technology) which are government institutes offer a BE degree and there are umpteen private institutes that offer a B.Tech degree.

No industrial training in BE or B.Tech
    In both, BE and B.Tech, industrial training is compulsory after semester 6.

B.Tech or BE is valued more than the other
    Your performance and to a lesser extent your college is what matters. Neither is preferred over the other.
  • cbipraveen
    cbipraveen
    Dear Hema
    Another common question among engineering students and usually a question of argument between friends is what is the difference between B.Tech and BE, which is better or have better scope. Similarly for M.Tech too, what is the difference between M.Tech and ME. I searched for it and found many forums are filled with non satisfying replies. I will present a most reasonable and valid difference between these two.
    First please note that there is no difference between these degrees in terms of value and scope. BE and B.Tech have smilar scope and future and on the same time ME and M.Tech have same scope future.
    Now let’s dig the question little deep. If BE and B.Tech or ME and M.Tech have same value and scope why the names are different.
    Right after independence of India we have two types of universities, one that offers degrees in many fields like Sciences, Arts, Education and Engineering too, and the second set of universities (were named as institutes) offer only degrees in engineering. Universities those offer other degrees along with engineering named their engineering degree as BE (Bachelor of Engineering) and Institute constituted for only Engineering studies named their degree as B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology).

Key differentiators between B.E. and B.Tech.
    • BE is Bachelor of Engineering whereas B Tech is Bachelor of Technology.
    • The key difference between the two is its course material and its orientation.
    • B.E. is a more theoretical knowledge oriented course whereas B Tech is a practical knowledge-oriented program.
    Both B.E. and B.Tech are graduate academic degrees awarded to aspirants who effectively complete the concerned professional program. Although B.E. and B.Tech are similar professional courses, some differences can be pointed out when comparing the two.
  • umashankardash
    umashankardash
    BE is the engineering degree offered by university those offers also other degrees in arts ,science ,commerce but btech is the course and degree offered by an university of technology both are same its like cinema and movie .
  • vamsi kancharla
    vamsi kancharla
    there is no difference between BE and BTECH both are same BE is oldest word and BTECH is modern word
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Interestingly, I was discussing this topic with a senior college professor when he told me about the term being used varyingly in the countries that have had colonial rule and the ones which haven't.

The British ruled India between 1858 and 1947 - the period of dominion. When they left, they had a lasting impact on India's education system, culture, politics, religion et al. It is said they planted the idea of having separate B.E. and B.Tech degrees. However, there is no proof or evidence to back this statement.

The Indian Universities who offer other degrees along with engineering named their engineering degree as B.E. (Bachelor of Engineering) and institutes (such as the IITs) that are built only for Engineering studies named their degree as B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology).

There are exceptions to the above rule and with the upsurge of private engineering colleges across the nation over the last decade, there is no clear distinct rule to say why an engineering degree is called B.E. or B.Tech.

Some experts believe that while B.E. is more knowledge & theory oriented, B.Tech is more skill or practicals orients.

In the last 20 years, a B.Tech degree has gained more weightage because the leading institutes in India (which list all the IITs) provide the B.Tech Degree.

However, students ought to note that a B.E. or B.Tech degree isn't considered with any kind of partiality when it comes to securing jobs after graduation or going for higher studies.

I hope my points make the distinction clear. If any one has any other views, you are welcome to share them in replies below.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Do you believe that there are other differences than what are already mentioned here?
  • Mafizuddin Ahmed
    Mafizuddin Ahmed
    hema7
    hi..

Could anybody please tell what excatly is the difference between B.E and B.Tech.....I know both are simply know as engineering.....but what is the reason they both have different names???any guesses???

Hi...
    Some of Institutions , Universities and professional bodies are providing only technical and engineering degree. Like IITs,NITs, JNTU
    These are B.Tech,Mtech.

Rather than above Universities and institutions, Who are offering technical or engineering degree and parallaly provides other degrees also like ,B.A., B.sc,B.Com, B.Arch etc these are B.E and M.E.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Wow! What an old discussion. I guess it is still relevant. There are Class XII students still coming up to me with this question. I ?  erm... ask them to see this discussion. Is it high time that Government makes provisions to make all degrees of the same name to avoid any confusion because, in the long run, it does not matter. But when you are fresh out of class XII every single doubt feels like the end of the world. 

B.E. and B.Tech are all the same guys! Don't fret over what is better. Focus on getting the branch of your choice in the college of your choice.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Interesting discussion, for sure. I got my B.E degree back in 2003; and several of my friends got the B.Tech. As #-Link-Snipped-#‍ said, there's not much of a difference between the two and mostly it depends upon the course or college/University offering it. IITs offer the B.Tech degree and most of the regional / state engineering colleges offer the BE degree. 

After spending so many years in the industry - all I can say is that the 'degree' itself doesn't matter much. It's just a doorway to the industry and nothing more than that! Even the percentage secured during graduation doesn't matter much in the longer run.

My strong recommendation to all the students would be to opt for the course they like. If you like all things constructions - think about Civil or Structural engineering. If you are like me who took apart their toys - you might want to go for Electrical / Electronics or Mechanical engineering. If you want to be an all rounder like our #-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir, just fall in love with engineering. 

PS: One good start would be to be active on CrazyEngineers. If you haven't joined yet, do it now. It's free and makes you feel awesome! 

• DM update
    DM update

According to me BE & B Tech is same, its just about the college . Important is in which stream you are doing like CSE, EC, Civil etc, otherwise its same.

• Rashmi Gandhi
    Rashmi Gandhi

#-Link-Snipped-# I think you are right. In earlier days, since IIT gave B.Tech degrees it was considered prestigious.. but nowadays all is same in the eyes of recruiters. Even BCA is same as B.E. and B.Tech.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I just did a brief search on the Internet and found out that lot of websites are providing false information about the difference between BE and B.Tech degrees. The truth is that both these degrees are equal in their value in the job market. 

The differentiation is only created by the Universities. Some decided to call the degree 'Bachelor of Engineering' while others decided to call it 'Bachelor of Technology'. 

Until now, IITs were famous for offering the B.Tech degree while most of the private engineering colleges in India offered the B.E degree. From my own experience, the degree itself did not make any difference in the recruitment. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anybody let me know i am having Bootskin files but when i m trying to boot my system it is not opening with those files. Can aanybody suggest me?...

Hi

I'm Ehsan. Studing in Islamic University of Technology, Bangladesh. I don't understand internet very much. But i like to find out.
Bumped into this forum googling for some crazy stuff ;-) and seemed a nice place to gain some gyan. Anyways, am doing my 4th year in electronics engineering and hope...
😁haa haa electronics is pretty and i like very much and the future will won't survive without electronics please send me the project with circuit diagram and coding on water...
CEans,Engineers are known to simplify the problems common people face. Blogging was hard. CE is proud to bring you an opportunity to interact with the guy who simplified it for...