Difference between AC and DC current

can i know what is the main difference between ac and dc????

Replies

• Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    jyothirmaijo
    can i know what is the main difference between ac and dc????
    AC current that is "alternating current" as the name itself says "alternating" which means it has both +ve half cycle and -ve half cycle of current. hence we all it alternating current
    whereas, DC current only consist of +ve half cycle of current!
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Vishal0203
    AC current that is "alternating current" as the name itself says "alternating" which means it has both +ve half cycle and -ve half cycle of current. hence we all it alternating current
    whereas, DC current only consist of +ve half cycle of current!
    To add more AC current are sine wave wereas DC current is a straight line,AC Current has 3-Phases while DC current do not have any phases
  • satty lavanya
    satty lavanya
    ac current means alternating current which has the sinusodial current and dc current that is direct current which has the constant current supply....
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    satty lavanya
    ac current means alternating current which has the sinusodial current and dc current that is direct current which has the constant current supply....
    i think #-Link-Snipped-# said the same thing above
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In order to understand the basic difference between AC and DC currents, one must go into the roots of how electricity is produced. Also, as noted earlier, it's important to visualise the AC current (in its graphical form) to have clear thoughts on how it differs from DC current.

I'd like to leave you with another question to explore: Why is AC a preferred type for longer transmissions? ( this could very well be your viva question )
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The transformers steps up increasing its voltage for longer distance transmission .... while the electric box you find near your lane/society/building consists of step down kit to decrease voltage for local area/residential area transmission.

HVDC can be used for power supply to longer distance but it is not preferred for local area. why ? maybe because in DC supply once you get short its impossible to come out alive .... while in AC due to its property of di/dt it is more convenient.

If any other reason .... elaborate please.
  • Avinash S
    Avinash S
    Could I post a fundamental question on this. How would we classify a current output from a sensor like a photodiode in varying light intensity.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    AC current has an altering +ve and -ve peak voltage in it the current varies with time ie AC current is a function of time

where as the DC current is not so it has a constant value at any instant of time . the two possible states available in DC current is ON state end OFF state
  • jyothirmaijo
    jyothirmaijo
    thank you every one for ur valuble answers.................
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    here is the document you can get better understand...
  • satty lavanya
    satty lavanya
    Vishal0203
    i think #-Link-Snipped-# said the same thing above
    ya.i know.but..i thought.... while giving the answer is what in my view.i should post the answer....if another person said the same thong or not
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Avinash S
    Could I post a fundamental question on this. How would we classify a current output from a sensor like a photodiode in varying light intensity.

it is not AC it is merely a DC having some AC ripples and

any ways the curve get is an exponentially decreasing one and not a sinusoidal one in the case of photo diode and stuff like that
  • naveee
    naveee
    jeffrey samuel
    AC current has an altering +ve and -ve peak voltage in it the current varies with time ie AC current is a function of time

where as the DC current is not so it has a constant value at any instant of time . the two possible states available in DC current is ON state end OFF state
    multivibrator works on AC or DC ( corect my answer .... as u said DC has only ON OFF conditions........ MULTIVIBRATOR should be worked in DC ???? )
  • Nishant Patel
    Nishant Patel
    If we concern about wireless Tranmission.. over long-distance ;only a.c. can be used.. d.c. signal can't generate E.M. waves via antenna.(we can't get varying ele. as well as magn. field). so there shouldn't doubt on long dist. commn.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nishant Patel
    If we concern about wireless Tranmission.. over long-distance ;only a.c. can be used.. d.c. signal can't generate E.M. waves via antenna.(we can't get varying ele. as well as magn. field). so there shouldn't doubt on long dist. commn.
    it is not AC signal used for transmission

we use analog signal here instead of digital signal

they are different AC DC ANALOG AND DIGITAL
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    naveee
    multivibrator works on AC or DC ( corect my answer .... as u said DC has only ON OFF conditions........ MULTIVIBRATOR should be worked in DC ???? )
    can you tell what is a multi vibrator that itself tells the answer to your post
  • naveee
    naveee
    jeffrey samuel
    can you tell what is a multi vibrator that itself tells the answer to your post
    a device that produce clock signals for digital circuits 😀
  • Sairam_007
    Sairam_007
    AC current reverses its direction while flowing in a circuit..whereas DC current It flows in one direction in the circuit....
    AC current
    is the current of magnitude varying with time..in DC the current has a constant magnitude!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    here the ip is DC supply but the op is digital and not AC

kindly don't confuse AC and digital signal guys
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    I feel everyone should hit wikepedia to understand electricity,we are wayward from the actual question and moving more towards electronics and digital signal.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    there is an unnecessary confusion here about ANALOG DIGITAL AC AND DC signal

some are confusing current with signal
  • ganesh p
    ganesh p
    AC-average value=0
    DC-average value=finite
  • Nishant Patel
    Nishant Patel
    ya..its exactly an analog signal..not an AC.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friend, I don't know where located the great Victoria Desert . any one know please help me
PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE MECHANICAL/CHEMICAL PROPERTIES ON DELRIN MATERIAL.
does there any method with which we can come to know that who visited our profile,either friends or strangers.....?
Heyy guys..!! need some help.... and btech graduates might be very helpful especially...... I want to work on a project m in 3rd year mechanical engg at Zakir Hussain College...
Anyone applying for UES 23 permanent commission for pre final year engg students......?????