Development or Testing After 1.2 Years in IT Industry?

Hi,
I completed my graduation in electrical engineering. i joined as a fresher in MNC company and working as an automation testing engineer from past 1.2 years .I worked on UFT 12.05, Selenium webdriver and TestComplete 10.05. I certified in ISTQB Foundation level. Few seniors suggesting me to shift to Development because salary , opportunities and demand would be more. I am totally confusing ,whether i am on the right track? or should i have to learn new development technology and shift?.
please suggest me in brief, this is the precious time for me to take the good decision.

Replies

• venkatpedda
    venkatpedda
    Hi, #-Link-Snipped-#
    please help me in this....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    venkatpedda
    Few seniors suggesting me to shift to Development because salary , opportunities and demand would be more. I am totally confusing ,whether i am on the right track? or should i have to learn new development technology and shift?.
    I'd recommend your seniors to switch to starting their own business because that is likely to offer more money, fame, sense of achievement in life and better social status. But you, that won't work in real world. There's no written rule that QA engineers will earn less than developers with equal work experience. How much salary difference (in terms of actual numbers) is there between a developer with equal years of experience in your own company?

Understand that you need to be excellent in your own domain than switching to entirely new domain that's over-crowded. 'More salary' and 'opportunities' is a never ending story. There are ample opportunities in India and abroad for talented QA professionals.

Again, this decision should be entirely yours. Do you feel comfortable learning a new technology and switching to development? Do you have any new opportunity available in development field? If yes, go for it.
  • venkatpedda
    venkatpedda
    Thankyou #-Link-Snipped-# for the brief info.
    I worked on UFT 12.05, Selenium webdriver and TestComplete 10.05. I certified in ISTQB Foundation level.
    Could you please suggest me ,what are the areas that i need to improve in QA? and what are the ways that i can create a difference with other QA professionals?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    venkatpedda
    Could you please suggest me ,what are the areas that i need to improve in QA? and what are the ways that i can create a difference with other QA professionals?
    I'm not very much into testing so I believe the questions can be better handled by #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# .

Keep improving your skills-set and gain experience. In IT services companies; all the techs are invariably promoted to managerial position. So you'd ultimately be dealing with Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook 😀
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    #-Link-Snipped-# - I am an automation architect having 10+ years of experience having my experience on QTP/UFT/Selenium/VSTS/SOAP etc... If you are concerned about the fact that development folks ears more than QA, believe me its myth. Most of the Performance engineer earns far better than development guys, and also automation folks are no lesser.

I would second Kaustubh that , you should not worry about these myth's in starting of career and should concentrate more on gaining knowledge in the area of you interest and that is THE ONLY KEY to the success. For now, I would suggest you to sharpen your skills in UFT / Selenium web driver. Also, learn mobile automation (if you get opportunity) which has the great prospects in near future.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I second Anil on this.

I have been working in QA Automation since 2006, so its close to 9 years.

Be an expert in one tool , like selenium webdriver now, and later go to mobile automation. Salary difference is mostly a myth. I know people talk non-sense of QA guys but its all just a tradition and that goes away.

so If you are really really interested in development, then learn something and go somewhere. If its only for money etc, then stick to QA. QA is no less and its equal.
    down the line 5 years, QA guys will no more called QA since we deal with all development languages and we try to break it.

Its pretty good , the only thing is you have to keep innovating yourself.

I have been working on QTP since 8.2 till 12.5 and Selenium1 , Selenium 2 (WD).
    Test complete, RFT , and you name a tool we did some POC on that tool. So QA is super cool job!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How can we implement cursor, procedure and function in sql (oracle)????!!!
Hi, so i am 15 and have fairly recently started learning about electronics, how it works etc. and i plan to make technology of a sort later in life. So...
An aspiring entrepreneur wants to start a website and has sent following questionnaire. I thought we'd discuss the questions here for the benefit of larger audience. Go through the answers...
Relation Schema: U(A,B,C,D,E,F) FD's: AC-->F B-->D AB-->CEF ACE-->B AEF-->BC I found the candidate keys to be AB,ACE,ADEF.is this right? And I would greatly appreciate it if someone find a simpler...
A Chinese company named Sichuan Revotek Co. Ltd. has developed world's first 3D bio-printer that can create blood vessels using their breakthrough stem cell bio-ink technology and a data model...