Desk/Computer Fan as generator for Mini-Wind Turbine?

The title pretty much says it all.
I'm not an engineer but have been tinkering (mostly with computers) and various inventions my whole life.

I wanted to build a mini wind-turbine to hang off my fire escape in New York City.

I eventually intend to power a fiber optic light show with the system but I'm trying to get the turbine down first.

I see no reason why a desk fan couldn't be converted into a generator, the only hurdle I can imagine would have something to do with the fan being either AC or DC.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Welcome to CE Eufouria 👍

Nice thought buddy
  • husi8400
    husi8400
    ur idea seems to be very interesting dude.... but a fan blade cannot be used as a turbine thats bcoz it is designed for the purpose of blowing air ..whereas turbine blades are aerodynamic in shape unlike a table fan's blade...do some research on turbine blade aerodynamics.. and also on well's turbine. i think it might help u with ur concept...goodluck...
  • saggi1991
    saggi1991
    i request you to ellaborate your idea.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Wow! Thats interesting.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Intel has announced new Intel Atom processors that feature integrated graphics built directly into the CPU, enabling improved performance and smaller, more energy-efficient designs in a new generation of netbooks....
Guys. Can you help me out with the companies where i can do Industrial training during Summer..
Infosys is conducting joint campus placement. Please tell me the tips and tricks to score in the written test. what topics and which books should I prefer? what are the...
Hello guys here is a lovely prank ..that i created today...you can play this on your friends and have fun...Please click on this link before reading next My Pranks ..here...
The guys at ACCOUNTINGHOMEWORKTUTORcom are one of the pioneers in the field of Accounts and Finance Assignments help. They provide the guidance in the areas Accounting homework help & financial...