DESIGNING A FAN FOR HEAT EXCHANGER

I Have got to design a cooling fan, to cool the network of pipes of a heat exchanger.

the only data that i have in hand is, the initial temperature of the hot fluid flowing in the pipe, and the final low temperature to which it has to be cooled. the sweep diameter of the fan has to be not more than 500 mm. the fan has to be directly powered by an electric motor running on alternate current.

i have to design this fan from the scratch. does anyone know the required design procedures and formulae. ? also tell me what effect the number of blades of a fan has on the airflow .

please also tell me the motor selection process (even though this has to be done only after the fan has been designed)

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Is this finned tube exchanger?
    See these sites:
    1. SHORTCUT SIZING FOR AIR COOLED HEAT EXCHANGER
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    2. Fin Fan Air Cooler Selection and Sizing
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    3. Air Cooled Heat Exchangers
    https://thermopedia.com/content/551/

If you know the total heat load and the tube side area, the overall HTC can be calculated. For a preliminary design ignore the conduction coefficient of the tube. From the tube side flow parameters evaluate the tube side HTC. From these two get the airside HTC. From published data get the velocity of air to give the required HTC. From the geometry of the exchanger the pressure drop can be evaluated. Choose a fan with require flow rate at the estimated pressure drop from data supplied by fan manufacturers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Intex Technologies have been laying low for quite some time. Gone are the days where they seemed to launch a new smartphone every week. Intex Technologies have finally understood that...
Quote: From flying cars to early aluminum engines, here’s a peek at some of the auto industry’s most ignominious failures. Endquote 10 Automotive Ideas That Didn't Pan Out
Check out this cool video from Google that features CEan @Uday Bidkar as engineer who makes the Firebase happen. If you have questions for him, throw them below. 😀
Reliance Jio top boss, Mukesh Ambani has announced the latest disruption in Indian telecom market, called 'JioPhone'. But not only that, Ambani backed it up with innovative price plan. The...
Google’s Motion Stills which was until now an exclusive iOS application, will now finally be available for Android as well. It would be compatible with devices running Android 5.1 and...