design of shafts

hi,
i have a problem regarding designing a slow speed shaft..
the speed of the shaft is 0.02rpm😀
using,
Torque=(9550*1000*power)/speed
i am getting the torque to be 3.34*10^9 N-mm
this is resulting in a very high diameter shaft of abt .5m which is not practical...
how do i go about solving it..?

Replies

• Rifaa
    Rifaa
    I cannot answer to a partial question. If you want us to help you then you should tell us more about what ever that you are doing.
  • vish4me
    vish4me
    the shaft carries about 15000 kgs distributed load. it has to rotate 180 degrees in 25 minutes. it is powered by an electric motor of 7 kW.
    i followed the design procedure given in the data hand book.
    the formulae used was d={16/pi*allowable((k*Mb)^2+(k*Mt)^2)^.5}^.333}.
    i gave it so that u can knw the method i followed.
    Mt=9550*1000*power/speed.i found out Mb by calculating the maximum bending moment from sfd and bmd diagram.
    bcos the speed was 0.02 rpm, Mt was in the order of 10^9 and Mb in the order of 10^6. hence the diameter came absurdly high.
    hence i wanted to know is there any other method to design shafts which rotate at slow speeds.<1 rpm.
    is the data i have given enough?
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    Hmm. I got a better solution. Use gears to reduce the speed, it's more effective that way. and it will put less load on the motor too
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    I think you just recheck the calculation of POWER and TORQUE, whether the formula used is correct( including the powers used ie ^x) and let us know. The use of gears would only reduce the speed but the load and power remains same, so Mt will not change.
  • vish4me
    vish4me
    i checked the formulae ......
    Mt=95550*1000*N/n where N is power in kW.
    n=speed of shaft in rpm.
    the formulae for dia is also the same i mentioned.
    Mt is coming high because the shaft is rotating very slowly . can u help me out.
  • Tkelly
    Tkelly
    First question, how you decided the motor power without any calculations?
    I suggest you to speak to speed reducer manufacturer(worm gear box manufacturer) with available data. He will definitely guide you in selecting the gear box as well as motor. In your case I would suggest to go for double reduction gear box.

Tom
    CAD Outsourcing Services India | Indovance Inc

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi All, OK What is the idea of this thread is to know about good quality crazy ENGINEERS hidden in our CE family and to give an example to rest...
Durga joined us on 5th October 2008, rose rapidly through the ranks and became part of the pioneering CE-Ambassador team. She has taken a lot of initiatives on CE including...
i'm using high speed drill 6mm in diameter to make a hole on S45C/SAE1045 carbon steel. the problem is, i don't know the suitable range of feed and rotation speed...
What is the exact meaning of paper presentation? Is it about presenting something about new technologies(which are found before a few days) or presenting our new idea?😒
I am working on c/c++ program that can alter the binary or hex value of the data and simultaneously we can do some operations like ORing, ANDing, XORing. My question...