Design of Hospital by CE'an

A hospital complex is under construction.
How you will design a substation? CE's opinion does matter.
-------------------------------
Light+Fan load = 250 kW
AC load = 100 kW
Lift load = 40 kW
Water supply load = 25 kW
Fire fighting load = 60 kW
Compound light load = 20 kW
--------------------------------
Please mention the following (Assume data as necessary):-

Type and rating of HT switch gear
Type and rating of transformer
Size and rating of HT & LT cable
Type and rating of LT switch gear

Replies

• d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey Aicbal,

nice post will require some time to think on it.
    what is the time limit for this.

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • aicbal
    aicbal
    the project is going on. it will be completed by 2012. so, i have a whole year to get the best. i will be thankfull to CE's who spare their 30 mins in this.
  • aicbal
    aicbal
    I visit this page daily to find out opinion of Crazy Engineers. But I am very sorry to get no response. Somebody may start, i have my own design to be implemented. I shall give every technical detail if anybody wants to start. but i am afraid, the topic seems to be not interesting.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I would love to see the technical details of it. Could you please give that?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    aicbal
    -------------------------------
    Light+Fan load = 250 kW
    AC load = 100 kW
    Lift load = 40 kW
    --------------------------------
    Please mention the following (Assume data as necessary):-

Type and rating of HT switch gear
    Type and rating of transformer
    Size and rating of HT & LT cable
    Type and rating of LT switch gear

#-Link-Snipped-#
    I don't know if we can help on this before you provide us all the specs like:
    1. Capacity of hospital
    2. Number of beds
    3. Number of Operation Theaters
    4. Number of labs using instruments
    5. Type of machines that are expected.

and few other parameters needs to be considered; but before that we need to throughly understand the requirements.

On top of this, do you want the advice from structural view / electrical or mechnial or designing aspects?

-CB
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    We need the number of items of fans etc in the hospital.

and moreover I guess you need a generator as well.
  • aicbal
    aicbal
    Light + Fan load = 250 kW
    AC load = 100 kW
    Lift load = 40 kW
    --------------------------------------
    Total Load = 495 kW
    Considering future extension of 30% extra load, total load = 495 kW + 30% = 645 kW
    Assume p.f. as 0.8, kVA=645/0.8 = 806
    Assume diversity factor = 1.25, then maximum demand = 645 kW/1.25 = 516 kW
    Maximum demand in kVA = 516/0.8 (assuming p.f. = 0.8) = 645

Transformer should be loaded 80%, then rating of transformer should be 645/0.8 = 806 kVA

So, 2 nos. of 500 kVA Transformer may be considered.

To be continued….
  • aicbal
    aicbal
    @ English-Scared ->

Every light point, fan point, power point etc. has been considered and the total load calculated as shown. As right now I am concerned about design of sub-station, the detail of internal electification is not discussed. As well as the load distribution is not also considered right now. But definitely it should be discussed at right time. Also the necessity of Generator obviously comes, that is also to be discussed later on.

@ crazyboy ->

Thank you for your interest. Actually, I am seeking advice regarding Electrical design aspects of the sub-station.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    aicbal
    The basic substation design is dictated by the electrical Inspectorate of each state in India. Regarding the hospital itself there are some management decisions needed. In the super speciality hospital I worked at in Kerala a decision was taken that all operations will be performed only with generator supply even if the mains supply was on. This was taken because any unscheduled power cut can kill the patient undergoing a cardiac or neuro procedure before a standby generator can kick in. Before you come in with the obvious rejoinder, we duplicated the generator as well. The mortuary is another essential service that needs standby supply. The generator(s) have to be sized after a careful assessment of all these issues.

Then there is the problem of wiring. Circuits on standby power has to be separate from those on grid alone suply. The wiring and switching hardware inside the theatres may have to be explosion proof. The externals must stand repeated cleaning by antiseptic lotions. Since many active devices are coinnected to a patient and even a few miiliamps directly flowing into the exposed heart or brain can be fatal, the concept of Patient Centric earthing must be followed. The earth pits themselves require careful design and routine maintenance.

The AC load has to consider the need for once through AC for theatres. The exhaust fans and door interlocks must ensure proper pressure gradients from the most critical area to the least.

What will be common sense practice to a commercial establishment will not suit a hospital. There will be wasteful expenditure of energy to ensure good hospital practice.

Unfortunately a lot depends on how the management views all these factors. No single design will fit all.
    I am afraid that the answer is a bit rambling. At least it may help in a better assessment of the design.

Bioramani
  • aicbal
    aicbal
    thanks bioramani.
    2 nos. 500 kVA transformer is considered.
    Please have a look at the key diagram below:

01.basic_key_diag
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    aicbal
    thanks bioramani. 2 nos. 500 kVA transformer is considered. Please have a look at the key diagram below:
    The loads on the two 500 kVA transformers appear imbalanced. Since the fire fighting load is (hopefully) a rarely used one is it worthwhile to shift it to the other transformer and move the water supply load to this transformer?

Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is tonnage of AC machine? What is the diffrence between 1.5T capcity and 1.5TR capacity of a AC machine? Ton or Tonn ?
Birlasoft announced investments to set up a Customer Insight Lab at its Bangalore facility in India. Focused on Customer Relationship Management (CRM)– based innovative solutions, the lab will carry out...
There are several types of bridges found in any place in this world. So, this thread will be dedicated to TYPES OF BRIDGES.😀
1. The only jokes you receive are through email (OUCH) 2. At Christmas, it goes without saying that you will be the one to find the burnt-out bulb in the...
Well,I thought Digital and RC circuits concepts build up with more discussions.So,here we go with that thread.Any questions or concept you would like to share or clarify😁