design of differentials

in a differential, the pinion gear is rather smaller than the crown gear. so does torque step-up take place when power is transfered from the pinion to the crown gear ? is the amount by which the multiplication takes place significant ?

Replies

• mechky
    mechky
    Yes, the pinion gear is smaller than the ring gear or the crown wheel. One of the task of the differential is to act as the final gear reduction in the vehicle after the gearbox. It is quite obvious that it will step-up the torque. Look at the rear axle ratio of any car. It is significant.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

if you check out the technical specifications of any vehicle and look under the engine section , there will be a parameter which will go like : max.torque : x...
Narendra Modi launched an incubation center for entrepreneurship development among youth. The center is based on a 35 acre plot near Ahmadabad. It was launched on the 11 September (9/11)...
Hello friends, i put forth this question to all my mates here who are working in CFD or Ansys related jobs. Others are also welcome to share their knowledge on...
😀 I am an instrumenntation engineer now a lecturer 👍 planning to do my M.E asap
This time lapse video isn interesting piece on how the rings were put up: