desiging a series pass voltage regulator

hey can anyone please tell me how to design a series pass voltage regulator???

thanxxx in advance!!! 😀

Replies

• Happy Chap
    Happy Chap
    Hi Satiim, I see this post was a while ago. Are you still looking for help?

Mike.
  • satiim
    satiim
    hey Mike.. yup i am still looking 4 help...
  • Happy Chap
    Happy Chap
    Well mate, do you have a circuit in mind, or do you have to design it from scratch? I would be starting with an NPN power transistor rated at about 4 amps or more, Vce of around 50 volts or more, and there are plenty to choose from starting at under 50 cents. Then a couple of capacitors, resistors, a 1W zener diode for regulation, and one or two more small signal transistors for the current regulation.

Then we have to look at the display system. I would be choosing a 3 1/2 digit LCD or LED module, with 0 - 200mV input, but that won't be "discrete components". It would be possible, no doubt, to use discrete componentry, but that is beyond my capability, and would probably need an enclosure the size of a mid sized kitchen cupboard, to accomodate the circuit boards and components. Assuming you can use an off the shelf module, I would combine two more ICs, a selector (can't remember the number, but in the 4000 CMOS family), and a 555 timer.

What do you think? If you want to explore it further, we may get together online, on a conferencing site, so we can draw little pictures, and chat.
  • satiim
    satiim
    hey.. thank u! 😀
    well i have to build it from scratch...
    uhmm i'll be glad to get online and chat about it a little more! 😀 ... i just need to know around when u are usually online and have time! 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My next computer won't have BIOS. It will have "UEFI" instead, according to: BBC News - Change to 'Bios' will make for PCs that boot in seconds
Just as we were discussing BlindType in the CE-Reviews Section, I read the news about Google acquiring that company. "We're excited to join Google, and look forward to the great...
how can we know that my system is big endian or little endian???
Puppy Tweets™ is an exciting new product for dog owners that lets your dog use Twitter! Here’s how it works. The Puppy Tweets™ tag is attached to your dog’s collar....
With the newly introduced refined user titles and ranks, I am sure all the beginners as well as oldies will want to get the higher ranks. But shouldn't we be...