Delete the undeletable files

1. [FONT="]Open a command prompt window and leave it open.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT="]Close all open programs.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT="]Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE[/FONT]
  4. [FONT="]Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe.[/FONT]
  5. [FONT="]Leave Task Manager open.[/FONT]
  6. [FONT="]Go back to the Command Prompt window and go to the directory where undeletable
    file is located in.[/FONT]
  7. [FONT="]At the command prompt type DEL where is the file you wish to delete.[/FONT]
  8. [FONT="]Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.[/FONT]
  9. [FONT="]Close Task Manager.[/FONT]

If this is already posted earlier then mods can delete it!

Replies

• TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    there is a better utility...just google search for "UNLOCKER" it works fine...but you may need net framework 2.0 or later for that
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeah, unlocker is quite good. But Mangesh's method is pretty new to me! It could be very useful when the explorer process crashes after certain file operations 😀
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    yeah u are right, Mangesh 's method is quite good...but to delete the files unless your explorer don't get crashed , exiting the explorer is somehow not plausible explanation, isn't it.
  • kang
    kang
    I guess getting to the DOS mode and deleting the files would be an easier method as well as facilitate better file system management by the operating system...
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    TARANJEET SINGH
    exiting the explorer is somehow not plausible explanation, isn't it.

Why its not possible.

1. [FONT="]Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE[/FONT]
    2. [FONT="]Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe.[/FONT]

its gone.

Any confusions????

Nice method Mangesh !!! was just thinking why this is happening so... why we need to kill explorer for deletion of undeletable files.

-CB
  • Mangesh6688
    Mangesh6688
    crazyboy
    Nice method Mangesh !!! was just thinking why this is happening so... why we need to kill explorer for deletion of undeletable files.

-CB

Because explorer.exe lock the files that are in use so we cant delete it!
    But when we kill explorer.exe it will not lock the files or give the message "Cant delete! File already in use by another user"
    And your undeletable file will get deleted easily!
    For this reason we have to kill explorer.exe......
  • Mangesh6688
    Mangesh6688
    One more trick to delete the undeletable file!!!!!
    Hi guys,
    This is one more trick to delete the undeletable file!!!

Use The Windows Recovery Console
    :-

1.You just have to insert your Windows CD in your CD tray
    2.Boot from cd.
    3.At the “Welcome to Setup” screen press “R“.
    4.Once the recovery console has started, navigate to the location of your Undeletable or locked file, and delete it.

Since Windows is not yet started, the files will not be in use, and you will be able to delete it!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Guys, This article is for PDF automation. I dont have any idea how to automate the PDF document. So Guys please give the information of the required software for automating...
i want to study computer networks and network security and also wireless networks but i do not want to get into the electronics aspect of the subject...also i want to...
Hi Guys, Basically there are two types web of programming languages 1. Conventional programming languages like JAVA, C#, VB.NET etc... 2. Scripting languages like PHP, Ruby, Python etc... Scripting languages...
sir i have done a course on ccna just now...now i m looking forward to make a project on my learning..that can be shown in my colg.i m looking forward...
Now the topic is weird or is it? I remember when I was in final year of engineering, one of the professors had asked folks in our class to talk...