Deep Space Networks..

After keeping almost daily track about curiosity where abouts ( .. and I will do it for rest of its stay on Mars), I am not sure if anyone of you are already aware of it - but I had a slight question - how exactly does curiosity send details back to earth?
I did a little search on NASA webpage and found very valuable information what i am sharing here. for such long distances we need really really powerful, lossless trasnmission systems and giving the account of earth's revolution and rotations and to fulfill the requirement of 24*7 tracking, there are not 1 but three complexes which host these very huge dish antennas. These are DeepSpace network Antennas.
Curiosity will relay the information via the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter , where the orbiter will record the details as sent by curiosity and then , transmit them to earth in 2 different talking sessions.
Here are more details for anyone interested-
#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is Output of following c snippet? int main(){ char *s="Abhas"; printf("%s",s+ 2); getch(); }
During our childhood we used to play with remote cars..can u say me how it operated?
Hello, I am Satty from Vishakhapatnam. Can someone tell me about the dielectrics in capacitors? What is their role? How do they function?
I want to join the M.tech course, but I don't have information whether I can get admission now. Please suggest me some colleges in Delhi. How it would be to...
I (and the chairman of the group) resisted getting a cell phone for very long. Even now, I have the most basic of phones which does only the normal phone...