De formation process

What is different between coining, embossing and knurling..?
All are making impression on the work piece.I don't know the exact different between among them..can u tell to me..?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    Knurling is a process of making an array of diamond-shaped indents on a smooth surface, to improve gripping. on cylindrical surfaces this can be done using a lathe machine fixed with a knurling tool.

embossing is a process of creating raisied features on a smooth surfaces, such as in coins.

but coining is a mettalurgical process. it is a process of hardening the material by applying high stress and thus reducing the grain size. the finer the grains, the more stronger a material is.
  • Praveenan nt
    Praveenan nt
    Knurling is a process of making an array of diamond-shaped indents on a smooth surface, to improve gripping. on cylindrical surfaces this can be done using a lathe machine fixed with a knurling tool.
    Emobossing has same design on the both side of the sheet metal.
    This process can be made by means of matched male and female roller Die %28Manufacturing%29, or by passing sheet or a strip of metal between rolls of the desired pattern.
    Coining operation produces different shape or design on both side of the sheet metal.
    Example : coin where both side have different design.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello there..I'm Rania, a student of final year electronics and telecommunications engineering from India. I am here to get some good answers for the doubts i might come across while...
I don't know how to install helping files in catia v6 ? any one help me..
Want good project idea for final year project in Computer science
what is the difference between a clutch master cylinder and a slave cylinder.
hi everyone i am in the final year of bs electronic engineering and i want some idea about project. i have interest in microcontroller and PLC. i need ur kind...