DC Generators : What will happen if shaft is stable and magnets rotate?

i jus want to clarify a doubt that in dc generator usually magnets are stable and the armature shaft is allowed to rotate.what ll happen if we do in reverse that making shaft as stable and allowing magnet to rotate

Replies

• lal
    lal
    It will definitely induce emf in that case too. Only that the commutator has to be designed accordingly. And the direction of induced emf will be as obtained by Fleming's right hand rule.
  • Janaa karti
    Janaa karti
    wat will be the direction of emf if the magnets are allowed to rotate in anti clock wise direction????????? can u give a brief on the design of commutator for this case???
  • lal
    lal
    Direction of emf:
    It will also depend on the pole under which the conductor is present at that specific time. Magnets rotating anti-clockwise is effectively same as the conductor rotating clockwise. We need to consider the direction of rotation of conductor just because Fleming's right hand rule was framed based on the motion of conductor and that is what we use to find the direction of induced emf in a generator.

Design of commutator:
    Commutator is used to actually convert the generated alternating voltage to direct form. Here, since the casing of the generator(where the magnets are fixed) is rotating, there has to be some method to take the current out with ease. What I think of is a slip ring setup between the commutator output and load. The output from commutator inside the casing will be passed on to sliprings outside the casing which are also fixed on the shaft from which the output can be taken through brushes. There could be other, better, ideas.
  • Janaa karti
    Janaa karti
    thank you

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans I had heard lot about the utilization of magnetic power in various modes in automobile Industry.It Includes magnetic suspension,magnetic ride control,locks,etc but I want to know whether there...
Panasonic had informed about the new iteration of its Toughpad slate in Consumer Electronic Show held in January 2013. At that time the company had highlighted it being the world’s...
Obama administration seems very adamant on attacking Syria and while they do not have full support (this time) from its friends, bigger countries like China and Russia have been openly...
we know that when two signals are convulated eg f(t)*g(t),we get the output as F(W).G(W) i.e multiplication in frequency domain but how it is implemented by the modulators i can...
Yeah you are correct.Armadillo is a word that describes "little Armoured one".I saw that small adorable car in the newspaper and I am her to share it with you."Armadillo-T" electric...