DaVinci Robotic Surgical System

Robotic Surgical System
[​IMG]

Intro
Hello guys ,
I wanted to share an interesting leap in medical field , and it is emerging as a new trend in many parts of the world. I heard about this 4 years ago in a medical conference and i have been following it on the web since.
It was used in western countries mostly in the prior years but now they have entered our very own country and you can see its installment in every corporate hospital and on their respective hoardings in metro cities.

What is it called ??
It is The Da Vinci Robotic Surgical System.
[​IMG]

What It Does ???
Davinci is basically like a Video Game console and you can see from the image it has 4 arms.
The first aligns the instrument in the operating area and then he sits infront of the console box.
The console box has 4 sleeves for the fingers to step in and with 2 fingers from each hand you could control the movement of all the arms of davinci, sounds good isnt it !!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The console has a microscope which lets you see through it the operating area , and it infact magnifies the area , so you can have a bright , pixel perfect image of what you are cutting through.
The best benefit is the virtual screen that makes you navigate through the operating area and you can adjust the area.
All the four arms can be controlled at a time and this lessens the man-power in operating theater setting.
The benefit what the makers say that minimally invasive surgical procedures are best achieved with it which is actually true.
This means the size of the cut wound in surgery is very less than what normal is performed manually.

so the surgeon gets benefit of exact vision, precision and control of things.

What Surgeries can be carried out ???
The information was very limited but from my knowledge it is widely used in Gynecological and Renal (Kidney based) surgeries.
other areas include , prostrate , thyroid etc.
The outcome was maximally successful and hopefully in future we could get it expanded to uncovered areas of Cardiac and Neural surgeries that need immaculate vision and hours from your watch.

Wanna get operated or Buy it ???
The surgeries are performed on requirement basis in big hospital setup, and the surgery is very expensive compared to its normal counterpart.Lets say 3 times more, for a value.
This sounds some kinda freaky , but yes if you can spill out some 4-5 Cr. on it like jelly beans you can get one for you working.
Our corporate guys are running behind it so they can charge more from their patients as we humans have fantasy for something more sophisticated rather than normal.

So this is all i wanted to share about the Robotics in surgery and medicine ,
Thanks for reading this,
regards

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I do trust robotics as long as it doesn't operate directly on human body.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I will always support technology if its out there to save a life.Its very informative and yet ignite thirst to innovate to help human community.
    Advantages of robots over humans operating:
    1)High accuracy,
    2)Nervousness of doctor cant affect the precison of operation.
    thumbs Up for the Innovators.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I do trust robotics as long as it doesn't operate directly on human body.
    Agreed but I think that you are scared of it? What if the controller screws up. After all it is a dumb machine. I am in favor of manual operation. But this technology sure looks cool and awesome.
  • envira
    envira
    Infact it is like playing a game , and it is limited to just operations for surgeries that does not involve maximal risk and surgeries that are more cosmetically accurate., called Minimal Invasive Surgeries 😀.
    You know what it is now the pivot in some countries like France where health care is considered the world best.
    You can see some real action there guys, who are well trained for this type of procedures, so no worries about it.
    he he 😀
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    envira
    Infact it is like playing a game , and it is limited to just operations for surgeries that does not involve maximal risk and surgeries that are more cosmetically accurate., called Minimal Invasive Surgeries 😀.
    You know what it is now the pivot in some countries like France where health care is considered the world best.
    You can see some real action there guys, who are well trained for this type of procedures, so no worries about it.
    he he 😀

Do you think it is feasible in India?
  • envira
    envira
    Nayan Goenka
    It is now seen in India in every big corporate hospital.
    I have seen m any hoardings in Delhi and Hyderabad.
    Its safe and awesome.
    The doctor manually operates it.
    Its a leap for medical field and hope we could see more automated systems in future 😀
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Quite interesting . but i would prefer to be operated by humans instead of machines.

this robot would have been even more interesting and useful if it was meant for some other application such as machine assembly, in manufacturing industries.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    zaveri
    Quite interesting . but i would prefer to be operated by humans instead of machines.

this robot would have been even more interesting and useful if it was meant for some other application such as machine assembly, in manufacturing industries.

Agreed. Humans better than machines.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Nayan Goenka
    Ofcourse not ! because india is a place where the rejected and third grade products of the foreign places sell.

so the robot used in india will never be up to mark and it will be quite risky to use.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    I had heard about the DaVinci Surgical System some 5 years ago. It is quite striking. It has successfully performed even in complex surgical procedures such as organ transplants. The DaVinci system is a Robot Assisted Surgical System. So, the control always remains with the human surgeon.
    On the other hand, a completely Unassisted Robotic Surgery without any human intervention (except for the initiation) has already been performed in Milan, Italy in 2006. The robotic-surgeon had performed cardiac surgery on a 34 year old patient suffering from atrial fibrillation. The surgery went of well without any problems. The software controlling the robotic-surgeon contained data from about 10000 real-world surgical procedures and the robot had already acted as assistant in 40 such cases earlier before being allowed to perform the unassisted surgery. So, in a sense it was more experienced to perform the operation than any human surgeon.
    Additionally, 'robot-assisted minimally invasive surgeries' significantly lessen time spent recuperating and also lower the risk of infections and related complications.
    Apprehensions that people have is understandable, but it looks like the future of surgery is slowly going to move in to the hands of these robotic-surgeons.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

You may know Boeing as the commercial airplane maker - but the company also manufactures a lot of defence equipments & weapons. Boeing's Directed Energy Systems Division has come up...
Well I was looking for the one proof that makes Google the King of the WorldWideWeb. And guess what, destiny gave it this morning. May we call it fate or...
Kerala's Startup Village has decided to celebrate September 12 as 'Entrepreneurship Day'. The startup village, which is one of the biggest startup incubators in India has secured 1000 applications in...
It seems the Auto-giants are having a World War in India. With Franfurt Auto show coming up next month, none of them want to take their old school models with...
Hi everyone... I want to know about networking and hardware as a career for a CSE graduate. what is the career growth in networking?is it a good field for a...