Data deduplication Vs cloud data availability

can anyone clear my doubt.

will the data deduplication affect cloud data availability??

cloud service providers to manage their storage they are looking for deduplicating their similar content.

if they do so, their storage may get freed but , will not this affect the availability of the data in cloud . that is only to have multiple copies we are prefering cloud but this is just reverse of our expectation.

so is deduplication and cloud availability terms are trade offs??

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kalaivani M
    can anyone clear my doubt.

will the data deduplication affect cloud data availability??
    You need to explain your question a bit in more detail.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Not sure about deduplicate you're refering to, but according to definition
    "data deduplication is a specialized data compression technique for eliminating duplicate copies of repeating data."

Here I found the #-Link-Snipped-#
    1. Divide the input data into blocks or “chunks.”
    2. Calculate a hash value for each block of data.
    3. Use these values to determine if another block of the same data has already been stored.
    4. Replace the duplicate data with a reference to the object already in the database.
    By the above process, cloud is not removing the data but it is placing most updated data and cleaning out old one.Which seems reasonable.
  • kalaivani M
    kalaivani M
    Anoop Kumar
    Not sure about deduplicate you're refering to, but according to definition
    "data deduplication is a specialized data compression technique for eliminating duplicate copies of repeating data."

Here I found the #-Link-Snipped-#
    1. Divide the input data into blocks or “chunks.”
    2. Calculate a hash value for each block of data.
    3. Use these values to determine if another block of the same data has already been stored.
    4. Replace the duplicate data with a reference to the object already in the database.
    By the above process, cloud is not removing the data but it is placing most updated data and cleaning out old one.Which seems reasonable.
  • kalaivani M
    kalaivani M
    thanks for ur reply kumar,

actually i know the concept of deduplication. the thing is if it replaces the second similar file by pointer. then there will be no similar storage of the original data. just pointer will be there to refer the original one.

if the original copy gets damaged by natural disaster / compromised by hacker.
    then we are left under risk because we will just be having only the pointer that will be pointing the currently corrupted file.

so here cloud's availability gets failed.

then what is the reason so special to consider this deduplication as important??
  • Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    #-Link-Snipped-#

PDF

Read those for an idea.

If you do not understand let me know will explain you in detail later
  • kalaivani M
    kalaivani M
    thanks for ur idea karhtik,

i have read those contents.

but my doubt is cloud availability will get decrease or not ??

due to this deduplication..
  • Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Yes cloud availability will obviously increase. These make chances to increase the availability always.

Deduplication is an another concept of the cloud. With these back up techniques and all they make the cloud availability more often and increase the chances to make it secure also.

They use the techniques of Raid 0 to 6 which are the fastest data copying techniques.
  • kalaivani M
    kalaivani M
    oh..! well..i got some idea, thanks for your help karthik. thank you CE..!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello,could you suggest any project ideas I can take under network security as a 3rd year IT student ?
I bought Asus DSL N10E, Wireless Router. I have set up it with NO security. Can anyone teach me how to secure it with password (WPA/WPA2 , WPE, whatever!) ?...
i'm going to do my college level project.so i m having some doubts abt the amplifier and its principles..so guys help me to clear my doubts.. 1.can we use an...
A team of researchers at University of Sheffield have found cheaper and efficient means of trapping solar energy with help of perovskite and spray painting fabrication process. The team of...
The name Chetan Bhagat now resounds with the entire young generation of the country. Everything from his famous novels to the columns he write for TOI, there's a (mind you)...