Current, Voltage & Resistance

How does the current, voltage & resistance are related with each other? Which plays a major role?
/-/®©™

Replies

• lal
    lal
    Why don't you try state Ohm's law and post what you understand. We'll work from there!
  • Herin HR
    Herin HR
    Ohm's law states that the steady current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference between the two ends of a conductor.
    V=IR

From this I just got V is directly proportional to I which depends upon the resistance offered by the conductor.
    But I doubt that how is this made possible?
    Explain it.
  • lal
    lal
    It would be more meaningful the other way. Potential difference (pd) is the driving force for current. That is, current is directly proportional to voltage. But, depending on the medium it flows, current experiences an opposing force which limits the amount of flow. That is called resistance.

Now, Ohm's law again, the current (I) flowing through a conductor is directly related to the driving voltage (V), but limited by the conductor's property called resistance (R) which is specific to that material.

It should be understood that Ohm's law doesn't apply to superconductors and semiconductors. And even with the slightest change of environmental conditions, resistance of a material varies.
  • Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    Hi All,

I want to you some points on resistance.

Resistance is directly proportional to the length of the conductors and inversely proportional to area of the conductors

Equation is attached below.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The current online banking system works on the basis of two step authentication where a combination of your password and an OTP that you receive on your cellphone is used....
Both petrol & diesel are secondary fuels obtained from the primary fuel petroleum crude. But when they come to engines they play different role due to their chemical compositions. But...
Does anybody have any idea on DNS and DNSSEC hierarchy test bed setup and implementation.???
Cashing in on the Christmas weekend, Meizu has decided to put up the m2 on an open sale on Snapdeal. The Meizu m2 that arrived in the country last month...
URGENT!!!!! Guys need your help. Could you please evaluate my profile for an MS in Comp science for fall 2016? GRE - 298,Toefl - 93, UG - BE in Information...