Creative Spoonfeeding- Techniques To Learn Metallurgy Easy

The metallurgy syllabus that's a part of Mechanical study will be viewed upon here. There are a few definite portions that form the core of the subject and which should be studied in order to get a better grasp on the subject.

Tutorials shall begin soon! 😀

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    bring it soon dude.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Okay. Let's begin with the Iron-Carbide diagram first-

Fig159_2

Note the Eutectic and Eutectoid points. Now you'll have to memorize the basic sketch-up of this graph. No need to memorize all the temperatures and Ferrite %ages.

Now label the Austenite zone, the liquid zone and (cementite+ledeburite) zone. Note that Pearlite comes only at the bottommost part and nowhere else. The other zones can be easily marked once these are done. (Zone ECB is between Liquid and Austenite, so it is Liquid+Austenite and so on...)

Now make a note of the ferrite present everywhere along the temperature axis. The rest of the labelling is now extremely easy. 😀
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    I had further simplified the above by denoting each substance by a symbol.

γ (gamma) for Austenite and so on. Try this technique, I'm sure it will simplify this diagram a lot, enabling you to memorize it in a few minutes.

Choose any symbol you like, but make sure you remember the substance it's associated with. 😀
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Ok, now let's do the INVARIANT reactions!

In a Iron carbide diagram, you'll encounter 3 Invariant reactions.

First Is Peritectic Reaction. (At 1495 degree Celsius)

δ-ferrite + Liquid ----> γ (Austenite)

Now, δ being an interstitial solid solution- symbolize it with a straight standing man (Iron Man, if you may 😉 ).
    Liquid - Assume it to be Alcohol.

Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 10.41.11 AM

Now see, ferrite + Liquid ---> γ

Please note that how the man after heavy drinking has fallen while his legs make a 'γ' symbol (in red). Hope this helps in memorizing this Peritectic reaction quickly. 😀

Other 2 reactions will follow soon.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    its a great way to remeber...
    bring such tutorials for other subjects also...
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    sweet_honey
    its a great way to remeber...
    bring such tutorials for other subjects also...
    😀 Glad you liked it!
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Now, moving ahead to the second Invariant reaction- Eutectic reaction.

It's this- (at 1130 degree celcius)

Liquid ----> Austenite + Cementite

Now, the liquid as we mentioned earlier is an alcoholic drink, and to the right side of the arrow is specified the Alcoholic Content. Do note the play of colors here.

See, Eutectic wrapped up in 2 minutes! 😀 Happy Learning!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hai...im kavitha from thanjur...im finished my B.E CSE graduation at AAMEC college.i like to create a web page creatively.my + is quick learner,adapt myself.my - is stage fear.my aim is...
Are there any windows admins here? I am trying to understand how the Network Load Balancing service works on Windows 2000 Advanced server esp, how virtual MACs and IPs are...
I am dhana lakshmi...am doing B.tech 2nd year
All you need is One Hundred million pounds for a trip to moon and back. Return flight is guaranteed assuming that the passenger is around to return. https://www.theengineer.co.uk/1013010.article?cmpid=TE01#Video
how to see threads in CE and how to connect with members in this