Creating CON folder in windows !!!

HI MYSELF DIPANSHU SRIVASTAV
I READ ON GOOGLE THAT MICROSOFT CORP. IS UNABLE TO CREAT FOLDERS NAMED CON , LPT1, PRN, COM1...FOLDER WITHOUT NAME...BUT I CAN DO IT... I ALSO READ THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE FOLDER CON.....................BUT I WILL DO IT IT IS POSSIBLE.......We can create a folder with CON name. Create a folder and right click and select Rename option. Then just press Alt and without releasing Alt button press 255 from the keyboard and then type con. That’s it. You will see a folder named CON.
Reason why you cannot rename it normally is it that CON is one among many system reserved names.

DIPANSHU SRIVASTAV
BCA-MCA(DUAL)
LPU PUNJAB INDIA

Replies

• itchap
    itchap
    Re: CON folder is possible

Dipanshu
    HI MYSELF DIPANSHU SRIVASTAV
    I READ ON GOOGLE THAT MICROSOFT CORP. IS UNABLE TO CREAT FOLDERS NAMED CON , LPT1, PRN, COM1...FOLDER WITHOUT NAME...BUT I CAN DO IT... I ALSO READ THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE FOLDER CON.....................BUT I WILL DO IT IT IS POSSIBLE........

DIPANSHU SRIVASTAV
    BCA-MCA(DUAL)
    LPU PUNJAB INDIA
    Hi, Dipanshu First of all welcome to CE. And please post how to create a folder named con.
  • Dipanshu
    Dipanshu

😁contact me on <don't put your mobile number, unless you are a lonely individual who wants to talk to humans> then i will give the idea with sime terms & conditions
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla

There are ways described in internet regarding this !!!

And BTW who wants to create that ??

What are the uses of creating that file in system??

Can you state what differences can we make creating a folder named CON?

I guess its of no use creating that folder in windows.

Any use please share!!
  • Dipanshu
    Dipanshu
    Creating con foder in windows !!!

We can create a folder with CON name. Create a folder and right click and select Rename option. Then just press Alt and without releasing Alt button press 255 from the keyboard and then type con. That’s it. You will see a folder named CON.
    Reason why you cannot rename it normally is it that CON is one among many system reserved names.

DIPANSHU SRIVASTAV
    BCA-MCA (DUAL)

LOVELY PROFESSIONAL UNIVERSITY UNIVERSITY,
    PHAGWARA,JALANDHAR-DELHI G.T. ROAD,
    PUNJAB

• Dipanshu
    Dipanshu
    Re: Creating con foder in windows !!!

We can create a folder with CON name. Create a folder and right click and select Rename option. Then just press Alt and without releasing Alt button press 255 from the keyboard and then type con. That’s it. You will see a folder named CON.
  • Dipanshu
    Dipanshu

itchap
    Hi, Dipanshu First of all welcome to CE. And please post how to create a folder named con.

DIPANSHU SRIVASTAV
    Clipped_ES>
    LPU PUNJAB
    BCA-MCA
  • oldboy1985
    oldboy1985
    NOT WORKING !!
    AT LEAST IN MY PC
    please tell the reason
  • moksh
    moksh
    thats a clumsy bypass....alt+255 is ASCII for "Blank space" so what ur actually doin is makein a con with space.... 😛
  • justaglance
    justaglance
    Hi,

It is not working for me 😔
  • enigma
    enigma
    good dude.....
  • Dipanshu
    Dipanshu
    enigma
    good dude.....
    thanks for regard
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    The BEST-EST BEST WAY OF CREATING FOLDER NAMED CON

RUN>CMD> type the command with the drive letter you want: mkdir \\.\e:\con
    and to remove: rmdir \\.\e:\con

but as u know that nothing is perfect in this world...so it has its own limitation.....just explore and find out....

PLEASE COMMENT and also add me to your friend list...pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee
  • neha1
    neha1
    hi........
    i m able to make folder by name CONcon and not by CON.......😕y???
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    sorry neha1 I'm not getting you. please explain in detail. Do you want to say that u can't make con folder in uppercase????
  • namivrm
    namivrm
    sorry.......... but it's not working in my system... can u please give me cause why it is not working...
  • safwan
    safwan
    well, I welcome all newbies and other CEans for their enthusiasm but, I have same questions as English_scared 😡 Why are we needed the folder name CON. my second advice to people please

DO FOLLOW THE RULES OF CE

PLEASE DONOT POST YOUR PERSONAL CELLPHONE NOUMBER AND EMAIL id. ITS NOT ALLOWED ON CE .

BUT YOU CAN use PM (personal message ) option if you require.😀
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    hey and just look how many times you have posted the same post of how to create a con folder dipanshu
    it is not allowed
  • neha1
    neha1
    hey taranjeet i m not able to name it con only..but CONcon is going well
  • dipen30
    dipen30
    try this

c:\>md\\.\c:\con

delete that folder

c:\>rd\\.\c:\con

and enjoy
  • kanika_garg
    kanika_garg

hey m nt getting,if its a predefined keyword then hw it can b created after using that alt+255..can u plz tel me?
  • Varsha0802
    Varsha0802
    try using d combination (alt+0160 ) - without brackets. it really works............
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Hi guys, I search on google and found these points at one of the site.

Not only CON, we cannot create any of these
    CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, LPT9 and more

The reason is that con, prn, lpt1..lpt9, etc are underlying devices from the time dos was written. so if u r allowed to create such folders, there will be an ambiguity in where to write data when the data is supposed to go to the specified devices. In other words, if i want to print something, internally what windows does is -- it will write the data to the folder prn (virtually u can call it a folder, i mean prn, con, etc are virtual folders in device level). So if we are able to create con folder, windows will get confused where to write the data, to virtual con folder or real one.

Now to make con folder-

Open the Command prompt by Start -> Run and typing cmd

Code:
    C:\> md \\.\c:\con
    Now, Open My Computer and browse through the path where you created CON folder... Surprising.. ?? Yeah.. you have created it successfully

Now, try to delete the folder from My computer

OOPS!!! You cant delete it...

Now, try this in command prompt console

Code:
    C:\> rd \\.\c:\con

Explanation of this:

Well, let us now have a glance at how we were able to create it...

It is just because of the UNC Path (#-Link-Snipped-#. The Universal Naming Convention, or UNC, specifies a common syntax to describe the location of a network resource, such as a shared file, directory, or printer.Since, these conventions did n't exist under pure DOS, they are not backward compatible. The UNC syntax for Windows systems is as follows..

\\RemoteHost\sharedfolder\resource

where RemoteHost is the computer name / IP address of the computer that you wish to connect through remotely for accessing shared folder. The rest is the path.

(Here \\remotehost\drive:\con doesn't make sense anyway, because without having a process on the remote host, there is no current 'console'). It would be a security hazard as well, having the serial and parallel ports accessible for everyone who is allowed to read or write in any single directory.

The "." in the command \\.\c:\con suggest the local server. Now, you are pointing to your own computer. since, you have all privilages on every folder of ur computer, you can easily create it.

NOW I hope it is clear to everyone that what is real mystery behind this.😎
  • kanika_garg
    kanika_garg
    hey jcksn thanx
    but we can also create these folders with alt+255.then what was that...how it wil make the change..??
  • kanika_garg
    kanika_garg
    and also this command is not running at my machine...
  • whiz.kid.aniket
    whiz.kid.aniket

kanika_garg
    hey m nt getting,if its a predefined keyword then hw it can b created after using that alt+255..can u plz tel me?
    if you press alt+255 (or alt + 160 for some comp.systems) you get a blank character, after that you type 'CON' which consists of 3 characters.

' CON'

So there are total four characters (i.e 1.) Blank Character 2.) Letter 'C' 3.) Letter 'O' 2.) Letter 'N')

Now these four characters you have created does not match with the original three!

' CON' is not equal to 'CON' (notice the blank character in first keyword)

So this is how you can create CON folder.
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Thanks aniket.
  • yogi_333
    yogi_333
    Re: Creating con foder in windows !!!

we can not create folder named con..............
    you create folder named con but it is not con it is con.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I sometimes wonder why there's so much of interest in creating a folder named 'CON' on desktop 😐
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    @Biggie: When you say people to do this, they might not do... But something if you say don't do and cannot do, they will try to achieve it, or at least, try towards it... 😁 Simple human nature, includes me... 😁
  • sachin bankar
    sachin bankar
    Hi Dipanshu!
    Its niether working for me.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    I guess this thread is worth for nothing...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

who know the 2 digit bcd counter vhdl testbench code OF tablet counter system pls help me ?
Hi I am Ranjan, BE in electonics & TC in 2005. now i am working in one company last 4 years, but i wanted to give GRE. Kindly suggest me...
CEans , I use Firefox latest one but some times most freqently it shows message like " Server Not found " and the web page also wont opens .😔 at...
i am govind , doing my b.tech. in jntu anantapur in electrical branch.... i am interested to do small projects myself. can anyone give me idea to me please. i...
Hey guys have a look at the grand tribute to Michael Jackson on his Birthday Watch this video YouTube - Make it Large: A Tribute to Michael Jackson tell it...