CrazyEngineers Upgraded - What's New?

CrazyEngineers has now been upgraded to have new features and functionalities. We're rolling out features one by one and this post will be updated to reflect all the changes.

1. Automatic Link Formatting (Links will convert into linked titles)

Example: Earlier, a link that you posted would appear as a link: https://www.crazyengineers.com/threads/10-things-to-do-on-crazyengineers-community.72154//. However, now, these links will automatically be changed to show the title of the page you are linking to. For example: 10 Things To Do On CrazyEngineers Community

2. We can now use the 'Alert System' to send important alerts directly to you.

The alerts system, the little yellow bubble in the menu; would only show alerts about likes, replies and private messages. However, if there's an important alert we need to send, we will now be able to send it directly via alerts system. We'll send an alert to all of you linking to this specific thread; for a demo ๐Ÿ˜€

3. Floating Notices, With Images

A lot of new users have written to us to have a page that makes a formal introduction of the site - what does this website do, how can it help them, things they can do on CrazyEngineers etc. We plan to show a floating notice (in the bottom-right corner of the page) to every 'guest' on the website. This notice won't be shown to the logged in members.

The notice will take the first time visitors and guests to an introduction page that will answer all their questions. We hope we'll be able to get a lot more members with this; which means more interesting discussions and content on CE ๐Ÿ˜€

We now have a facility to show images along with our notices; which earlier required custom HTML+CSS coding every time we wanted to post a new notice. Now this has been simplified. Expect the notices to look a lot better in coming days.

4. Welcome Message To All New Joiners

Right now, we don't have any way to welcome our new members. Only if they post an introduction; we get to know about them. We will now have a welcome conversation created for every new member that will help them take first steps on CrazyEngineers. This may be accompanied by a 'welcome email' as well. Your inputs will be much appreciated!

5. Two Step Verification (Not mandatory)

If you are always concerned about your account security, we will now have two step verification enabled on CrazyEngineers. You will need a special app (like Google Authenticator) to login to your CrazyEngineers account; if you choose it! We however recommend a strong password to keep your account at CrazyEngineers secure.

6. Search Profile Post Comments

You can now search posts on user's profile, if you want: #-Link-Snipped-#

If you have questions or suggestions, please post them below. If you find anything out of place, you may report it here.

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Nice!! I like the changes to the 'Alert system'. ๐Ÿ˜€

Seems like you've had your hands full for some time now. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...well, those are the upgrades from improvement to the core software. We're getting hands full on something that's been in development for over a year. Can't wait to see it all getting ready; because that will change the way CE affects everyone's life ๐Ÿ˜€

This one is a small update to make sure that we are up to date on the security and stability front. Still a ton of things to do!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Notification and Search Profile Post is really nice feature to have it on CE.
    Good job ! ๐Ÿ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update:

A small yet important update I missed. Whenever moderators edit any post, they can now specify the reason which will be sent to the user. We did not have this facility earlier. I'm sure all our mods and users will appreciate it.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We're getting hands full on something that's been in development for over a year. Can't wait to see it all getting ready; because that will change the way CE affects everyone's life ๐Ÿ˜€
    That sounds very intriguing!! Can't wait for CE 3.0 ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Still a ton of things to do!
    And they will be done.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    have to explore ๐Ÿ˜
    Will update here.

I think CE is fastest loading site. Faster than Facebook an sometimes even Google. I can easily browse CE on 2G while other websites are struggling. #NotBragging
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    There is a small new icon on the right corner of the page. That seems to show complete forum links, is this newly added?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    There is a small new icon on the right corner of the page. That seems to show complete forum links, is this newly added?
    Just a quick navigation that helps users and Google spiders to discover links on the site.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Automatic Link Formatting
    Now it is even more important that moderators do a sanity check on the thread titles. I am manually updating thread titles for 90% of the posts since last one year. The thread title should be such that, people clicking on it should be able to guess what the content might be.
  • Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Kaustubh Katdare
    1. Automatic Link Formatting (Links will convert into linked titles)

Example: Earlier, a link that you posted would appear as a link: https://www.crazyengineers.com/threads/10-things-to-do-on-crazyengineers-community.72154//. However, now, these links will automatically be changed to show the title of the page you are linking to. For example: 10 Things To Do On CrazyEngineers Community
    What if the posted link was an expired link? and what will show if someone posted a short link like adf.ly, goo.gl? Just my doubts ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sharfudeen
    What if the posted link was an expired link? and what will show if someone posted a short link like adf.ly, goo.gl? Just my doubts ๐Ÿ˜€
    It's more or less a 'dumb' system. It just fetches the page title and auto-links it to the URL. The link won't know if the landing page has expired.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nice minor tweaks. You've added 2-step verification which makes me think whether CE will have any store in near future ? ๐Ÿ˜’

Few suggestions :
    - Change color of 'Ratings Received'. Since first day of the new layout update, it is difficult to see in profile view.
    Screenshot_20150930_064525
    โ€‹
    - Trophy points should be removed and rank should be allotted on basis of 'ratings' and not number of posts.

I know, you're going to do what you gonna do. But as long as I have got lil bit of love for CE, I will keep suggesting things.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's not 'we do what we wanna do'. Every new software update introduces bugs and we're happy as long as they aren't major ๐Ÿ˜‰ . We may switch to ratings based ranks; and that decision will be taken in our next upgrade. Have added it to the list of 'to do' for the next update.

Suggestions are always welcome; and there are times we did things because our fellow engineers wanted; which we'd not do otherwise. I think our fellow CEans wanting to make CE better is the biggest certificate of success we can have.

That said, some of you do know what are we getting our hands dirty at; and that's actually consuming 90%+ of our time and efforts; apart from those required to keep things (business) running.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Returned to CE after a while,
    CE-team has taken this to a new level
    Well done.
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    simplycoder
    Returned to CE after a while,
    CE-team has taken this to a new level
    Well done.
    ๐Ÿ˜€
    Good to see you after long time #-Link-Snipped-# ๐Ÿ˜€
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thanks bhai, same here.
  • joseph siomn
    joseph siomn
    wow! it's sound and looking good,, nice job
  • Shreena Verma
    Shreena Verma
    First Day... But found very intresting. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Aditya Deshmukh
    Aditya Deshmukh
    Mobile website experience is excellent especially on chrome.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Man o Man u guys keep uping the Paradigm

Awesome work Big Guy
  • PRIYADHARSHINI ARIVALAHAN
    PRIYADHARSHINI ARIVALAHAN
    may i know is there an android app for this forum?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Priya@dharshu
    may i know is there an android app for this forum?
    Not for now. But CE is already optimized to work fine in most mobile browsers.
    Welcome to CE #-Link-Snipped-#
  • PRIYADHARSHINI ARIVALAHAN
    PRIYADHARSHINI ARIVALAHAN
    ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ #-Link-Snipped-#
    Abhishek Rawal
    Not for now. But CE is already optimized to work fine in most mobile browsers.
    Welcome to CE #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Facebook wants to launch Free Basics in India with an 'altruistic' aim to help connect the millions of people in India to the Internet by offering free Internet. Facebook has...
I am Graduate in mechanical engineering passed out in 2015. I have registered for many sites like naukri monster freshersworld. I am not getting any opportunity. What do you suggest?
BMW launched the BMW 1-Series in India in 2013 and ever since the company hadn't announced any major update to the hatchback. At this year's Geneva Motor Show, they unveiled...
The new robotic cockroach from Russia will surely impress all of you. According to Russian web portal Sputnik News, this (see pic below) robotic cockroach was built for an unknown...
My final year project is based on secret sharing scheme using cryptography techniques. It basically focuses on the Adi Shamir's SS scheme i.e AES (Advance Encryption Standard) algorithm. I have...