CrazyEngineers Style Upgrade

We've introduced a few changes to the main style at CrazyEngineers. Our main goals were to fix the problems that existed for a long time. You will see better looking post control links, user online status indicator (pulsating green light), 'new post' indicator etc. We've tried to achieve a uniform styling all over.

That said, we're aware of the few elements that still need attention. If you dislike anything or have suggestions on anything that can be improved, please let us know. Every suggestion, comment is read and noticed. Your feedback is extremely important!

Thanks!

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The green alert for online is keep making ripple which I think is a distraction. It's better to add ripples only on page load and on mouse hover only.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    The green alert for online is keep making ripple which I think is a distraction. It's better to add ripples only on page load and on mouse hover only.
    Okay, let's see if this looks okay without the pulsating effect. We now represent online status with a green dot.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Love the new look! So dynamic!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Login screen in Chrome (Android) doesn't looks nice.
    Else everything looks pretty

Screenshot_2014-10-15-19-27-31
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Nice catch. Will fix this tonight. Hopefully. Did you guys like the side opening menu on mobile style?
  • Dhananjay Harkare
    Dhananjay Harkare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Nice catch. Will fix this tonight. Hopefully. Did you guys like the side opening menu on mobile style?
    Yeah, menu on mobile looks cool, only that the site is scrollable even when menu sidebar is open which seems unnatural.
    Also, images on home page are left aligned and remaining portion looks empty.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: Looks like the theme's behaving differently on different browsers. I just noticed that the post ratings look totally ugly on Safari.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Please increase the width of Following, Followers & User details widget.

Screenshot from 2014-10-16 09:19:19 Screenshot from 2014-10-16 09:19:41

Looks messed up.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - That was on the cards already. I've fixed it now.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Click on any member's name... the pop-up is showing the mini profile information -- 'Ratings Received: +1,292 ' in light green / florescent color.

Very tough to read that on Chrome (Haven't tested it on others).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rajni Jain
    the pop-up is showing the mini profile information -- 'Ratings Received: +1,292 ' in light green / florescent color.
    Yeah, It's on the fix-list. Update coming soon.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Can we have some color on the header and footer of each page just to highlight the entire website? Its just looks a little bit washed out. The focus is not on the CrazyEngineers Logo either. A first time user would just roam his/her eyes around the entire website looking for 'something' to catch their attention.

Of course the design looked really 'workable' during its inception, but we need to get it right. A hint of color here and there won't hurt I suppose.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    [​IMG]
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    [​IMG]
    In this, the CE logo and the repetition of Crazy Engineers written in plain Black text doesn't make sense o the Home page. We used to have this simpler on the old Theme where a one liner was also given that really highlighted 'what' the website was all about to a newbie who was entering the site.

The theme however works within the community as it is based on a Forum board type of layout. But the main page should get a little more attention. The focus should not be on advertisements when a person is logging in to the site. Can the main Home page be rearranged and made a little more better?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    [​IMG]
    The above image clearly shows a lacking of content to introduce CE to a newbie right at the first load of the main page of the website. The old theme used to incorporate lots of interesting dialogues such as 'over 1 million engineers' and etc. [Don't remember the exact sentences].

Looking forward to some serious changes here on the Home page. The Forum users increase only when more people turn up on the Homepage. And we do have some really great articles to support that. But just these little things can make some differences in my opinion.

P.S: Not sure if this is a known issue but just pointing out what I feel requires some mods.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# : Guys, what do you think about a magazine styled approach to the main homepage? Such as the ones used in popular sites such as GSMArena, MSN and CNet? Somehow it makes people get a glance of more content and just makes them 'stick around'. What say?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting observations, #-Link-Snipped-# . The entry to CrazyEngineers, for 90% of the new visitors isn't -> Home Page -> Login -> Content. But rather , 'Content' (some discussion) -> Registration -> Home Page. We've experimented with displaying the introduction and not displaying it - and it didn't make any difference to the registration on the site. I however think we'll have a column for the introduction in the footer (not an ideal place though).

Ads - We'll have to bare with them till we move over to some other business model. It's the bread and butter here to keep the servers running. We don't want it to be the focus; but advertisers love that; and we've to keep showing it.

The Good News is that the home page is getting a makeover - but no radical changes, unfortunately. We may introduce a content slider like we used to have a few months ago on the front page so that the user can get a glimpse of hot stories.

We however may temporarily introduce a new location for the account access, alerts to gather feedback from everyone.

In the recent times, we've diverted all our focus on bringing the 'direction changing' things we've been wanting to build and I admit we haven't been paying a LOT of attention to the looks.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Wishlist:
    Any possibility of giving search feature for conversations as well?
  • lal
    lal
    Has the forum font changed? I somehow feel it a little rough to my eyes now!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The font in the posts is the same - 'Verdana'. Only the font for the titles and headings has changed (it's all Verdana now). We may update it to a new cool font.
  • Gaurav Zagade
    Gaurav Zagade
    I am new here am gonna mad now please tell me the procedure for asking question on forum..thank you.. 😴
  • Gaurav Zagade
    Gaurav Zagade
    i mean to say that "How can i ask question on crazyengineers"?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

LG L Bello has arrived. As was expected in the month of August, the folks over at LG India have launched their brand new Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) smartphone named LG...
I just want to ask that if i have a class A,and i write 1. A sup; 2.A sup=new A(); Then just tell whether I am correct or not,According to...
At a time when research firm Gartner has released less than average growth figures for tablets in the current year, Lava is making efforts to make Android tablets cool again...
Sorry to have put it this way, but since I have joined, I have seen too little engineering related talk and far too much general product reviews and other talk....
Hello CEans, Life is so much F***ed up! Long-time i never posted any valuable post. All emotional posts. No use. Hope you will find this post helpful. Let's Get Started!...