CrazyEngineers Anti-Frustration Campaign

I got the news from a friend about his friend committing suicide out of frustration or guilt of not passing the 1st year examination. 😲 And I was shocked!

We have had thousands of cases of students committing suicide in India and the whole world for not getting good marks OR for not passing so and so exam.
All I feel about these students is pity and no sympathy.

Enough talk. Let's do something.
At CrazyEngineers, let's unite to spread the word of awareness that marks are not so important and Engineering Exams are NOT so frustrating.
If we are able to reach every household and let the parents and students know, that school and college education has to be more about learning and less about earning good marks, we will save a lot of precious lives.

As a friend suggested, I am calling this "CE Anti-Frustration Campaign"

Please contribute your ideas to spread this message.

Replies

• sau
    sau
    They are really really not that frustrating. In the field, i think, what you know (or have experience of) is going to matter and just because you scored so much percentage, your problems wont get solved on their own. believe me,not having your friend with you is WAY TOO MUCH MORE frustrating than studying even the most deadliest topic. There are solutions to all most all problems in this world.Ending your life is not the way out.
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Its a thought worth spreading around.

We see student suicides related to any major public exam in the state. And it just keep on happening again and again. This essentially points to a lack of awareness among students, and parents.

But a point worth noting here is teachers often add a lot of pressure to the student's mind. The education system itself is setting good marks as a goal, and not proper learning. The change should start from within.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    You are right, marks doesnt matter, knowledge does. In Indian education system generally people who mug get good marks, but mugging doesnt help when you are out for real fight. So, the basic idea is try to gain more knowledge, because thats something which is going to take you on top, not your marks.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Failure! I know a person who has failed in his 10th exam 4-5 times but don't know has he managed to pass it. But yes he is the most successful person I have ever known. Marks are important no doubt but knowledge is more important.

I have learned more on CE than in college.

The question is.'t 'if Suicide is good or bad?' but the question is how to reach people? please contribute your ideas here.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The whole account about the death I mentioned in the first post is here :

Mystery over engineering student's death | Nagpur News - Times of India
    [as covered by Times of India]
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    [video=youtube;n-8LGKGn5Lk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-8LGKGn5Lk[/video]

As shown in the video at 3:10, Aamir Khan says every 1.5 hour a student in India attempts suicide. He says he is accusing the system. The Dean says you are blaming one of the finest colleges in the country. And rest of it you know.

After giving it some thought, I came to a conclusion that instead of waiting for reforms to happen in the education system, why not we spread awareness among students. If we start taking the marks lightly and focus on actual learning and this thought spreads among majority of student community, the weak-hearted students who can not take the pressure or lose the fighting spirit, will realize that what they are doing is wrong.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    We have to tell our friends, who in turn will tell their friends about examples where people who couldn't get good marks or for that matter couldn't apply for a decent education, succeeded in various spheres of life.
    We have to let them know that their life is precious and it's worth more than just scoring good at school or college.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    But akd marks only can't judge student stamina in subject because in my college i am live example
    coming to this i am saying only one thing life is always with deep of ocean and top of mountain
    we should't depress by marks because we can increase them with fighting spirit
    anyway aggregate is necessary so we should maintain it
    i had a example too many of the old scientists are good in their field but poor in other fields so we must go forward without considering marks
    hope i am clear ofcourse it is confusing because i am not given complete idea
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    How many of you think that students suicides for not-good-marks are wrong? How many of you think we as engineering students and pass outs can spread awareness among people about why taking such an extreme step is not justified?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    AbraKaDabra
    How many of you think that students suicides for not-good-marks are wrong? How many of you think we as engineering students and pass outs can spread awareness among people about why taking such an extreme step is not justified?
    add me i am thinking people who suiciding for such silly reasons are wrong
    and i have another point too to make it in confusion we are thinking only about students if that students is failed and came hope how is situation in home?
    i faced it when i had failed in 2 subjects in my first year
    i am troubled and many times thought as why i am alive so this is also happens in many students minds
    i am very lite taking person but i thought like that then think about sensitive students
    in my view change and awareness are not only to be created in students but on their parents mind too
  • andyKane
    andyKane
    Suicide is an extreme step and shouldn't be taken at any cost. Its not just the matter of marks here. Never ever, in any situation in your life, you should take this step. Never EVER!!!! This is a good campaign you have started. Sharing the problem reduces it to some extent. And finding the solution becomes easier. This is all I can say.. (in loving memory of my friend.)
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Student suicides are a matter of serious concern in India. I my opinion, colleges should help regarding this by taking motivational classes which help in reducing stress. They should encourage positive thinking. Many college students I see are worried about their college schedules, they have too many journals to complete, teachers do not teach properly, and a lot of frustrating complaints.

Motivating and helping students in their college work can help a lot in reducing number of suicide cases.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    NOw a days people are becoming technology addicts. According to a recent survey "People addicted to technologies like computers are asked to leave it, then they show addiction symptoms."

We should minimize the usage. People often get excited and frustrated. They should minimize the usage.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    ishutopre
    NOw a days people are becoming technology addicts. According to a recent survey "People addicted to technologies like computers are asked to leave it, then they show addiction symptoms."

We should minimize the usage. People often get excited and frustrated. They should minimize the usage.
    lol ishu your making the software engineers to become waste 😛
    because they are improving only software on depending on the technology we are using if we minimize it think what happens next
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    I don't think it was the marks that matter for all these suicides and it was due to more pressure that they handle from their parents and teachers as they made every student a marks getting machines and some students those who can't able to get up to the mark committed suicide. I have one of friend committed suicide because of this same reason but luckily he get out of situation alive and it was more pressure that he faces from his repeated failures and the pressure develops each time he fails(when he fails every time their parents scold them). Later, he failed again but he took it very cool. The situation also becomes irresistible when the thought comes at the same moment and I feel we need to change lot of things around us other than the system to control these suicides.

Note: One of my friend in his B.tech first year failed 6 out of 8

2-1 Six out of 7

2-2 Six out of 7

He left home because he don't want to show his face to his parents and he bring him back to home.

3-1 only two of 7

3-2 Zero of 6

4-1 One out of six. (Now he contains only 1 backlog as well) .Now is it really marks.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @dileep: You are right. Maximum number of students who commit suicides have the reason of parental pressure. What measures can we do to make the parents & teachers & students, all aware that academic marks are giving unnecessary importance?

If 1000 people from one university stop glamorizing ONLY good marks, it will ultimately reflect on the other students of the same university.
    We can also set up small 'Anti-frustration' cells in our respective colleges (not typical counselors) but student body of helping out each other.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    @ ABKD Yes. We can develop anti frustration cells ABKD but competition is competition and money is money. I am going to write my second story on this same topic. It's not about marks ABKD that our parents has to know that no two persons born alike in this earth.(i.e., No two person will not perfectly match with their skills.)
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @dileep: I totally understand what you are trying to say. And it's really important that the parents realize what you said.
    This thread is dedicated to finding out ways of solving this problem we have. How to reach out?

PS: I had thought the grand movie 3 Idiots, would have sent a spark across the nation and stopped people from committing suicides, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    We can reach out by advertising. By using animations. I recently saw the power of animation 2 days back in my village.

As far as the movie 3 idiots was considered, it was superb. But it should not stop at that only. More of the entertainment media should get involved at the cause.

Now a days, I am seeing causes in FaceBook too. I hope you can read between the lines. 😒
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Every child is a genius. Other than those who have a disease condition, each child has the potential to be a genius. The first seven years are crucial and it is squarely the responsibility of the parents ( the mother particularly) to unlock this potential.
    Dr.Beranadette Tynan has been an active crusader in this.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Since we are talking about a general malaise let those of us CEs that will become parents take a vow to unlock our children's potential.

My parents never pressurised any of their children and we on our part never stressed ours. My daughter is following in our footsteps and handling her child the same way.

The Indian problem is that Engineering and medicine are automatic choices (of parents) to be followed by some MBA and off to a multinational and good bye to hands on creative engineering. Children have to get up at ungodly hours to go for tuition. The situation in Andhra recently became ridiculous to the extent that coaching schools sprang up to train students to qualify for entering a premium coaching school that coached for IITTJEE! I have never heard of anything more silly or atrocious.

There is no simple solution.

Having said that I have a rather different view of suicide. If I do not find my life worth living, I should be able to put an end to my misery. Removing the cause of that misery is quite another matter. Reshaping the mind set of the Indian parent is a massive task. Each of us can help by counselling the parents and setting an example one's self.

Bioramani
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    Reshaping the mind set of the Indian parent is a massive task. Each of us can help by counselling the parents and setting an example one's self.

Bioramani
    I agree with this point. It's only our little efforts that can help us awareness among the students and parents.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Unfortunately, I came across another story today.
    See here: Engineering student ends life | Nagpur News - Times of India
    [coverage by times of India]
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    Unfortunately, I came across another story today. [coverage by times of India]
    At least in this case the parents do not seem to be the agency that caused the stress. Probably peer pressure or fear of not fulfilling his own ambitions and aspirations made him take the extreme step. During early 70s we started a social service activity at our place of work. Each of us undertook responsibilities suited to each one's capability. One of my colleagues undertook to counsel would be suicides. I had warned him that if he did not watch out he may go the same way. A few months into the activity he did attempt to do away with himself. This mental conflict appears to be contagious.

The TV and movie melodrama do not help either. Instead of externalizing one should internalize. However, this is easy to say, but very hard to practice. I am deeply grateful to my family that never placed any high value on personal achievement of its members.

Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey there guys, i needed to design a vlan for part of my university coursework. I was hoping that some of you pros here can have a look at it...
Hey, is anyone familiar with the use of PEM fuel cell with regenerative braking system for a HEV? I'm trying to incorporate this system into a golf cart for my...
what are the relevances of C++ programming language in electrical/electronic engeering and in engineering as a whole. Trim Fusion
University of Missouri, St.Lois seems to have come up with a non invasive procedure taking just a second to monitor blood glucose levels, The team uses IR transmitted through the...
A lot of students in my college are talking about taking training this summer. I just wanted to ask, what do we learn in a training course (for CS)? Is...