Crazy Ideas : Motion Detection

My group of geek friends has been playing around with motion detection using matlab over a month now. Its an amazing thing to do if you got a nice webcam at home. Even started working on face recognition.
I was wondering what kind of crazy cool applications could I find to make motion detection useful in our daytoday life and make life more easier.

Some of the ideas we got after an hour of discussion are -

1. motion detection alarm for ICU patients,
2. motion detection for burglar alarms,
3. detecting violation of traffic rules using motion detection.

Got any more crazy ideas ? Add it here, anything is welcome ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• ideamonk
    ideamonk
    Repost for CS : Motion Detection Crazy ideas invited

My group of geek friends has been playing around with motion detection using matlab over a month now. Its an amazing thing to do if you got a nice webcam at home. Even started working on face recognition.
    I was wondering what kind of crazy cool applications could I find to make motion detection useful in our daytoday life and make life more easier.

Some of the ideas we got after an hour of discussion are -

1. motion detection alarm for ICU patients,
    2. motion detection for burglar alarms,
    3. detecting violation of traffic rules using motion detection.

Got any more crazy ideas ? Add it here, anything is welcome ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    1) Solar tracking: Well, not so crazy, but would be really useful.
    2) Robotics: mimicking human action, such as movement of hands
    3) Car HUD: putting position and speed data of cars and other objects that are ahead
  • ideamonk
    ideamonk
    Ash! thanks a lot...

Yep with Solar Tracking we woul be able to mimic sunflower's behavior and the solar panels would be able to face into sun's direction automatically. Sun would be a really discrete entity in the sky so its easy to trach too. ๐Ÿ˜€

Mimicking human motion is again amazing idea to think upon!!! Seems a little hifi from our level of experience, but the idea is really exciting me.

Again car HUD is very nice idea, we won't need anything more than a system attached to the cars which need this feature, everything else would be taken care by motion detection, analysis and AI ๐Ÿ˜€

Another crazy idea I read about right now - #-Link-Snipped-#

thanks again!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ideamonk
    Another crazy idea I read about right now - #-Link-Snipped-#
    Haha, that looks fun!
  • Predictor
    Predictor
    Just some thoughts on this...

ash
    1) Solar tracking: Well, not so crazy, but would be really useful.
    Yes, easy to do. As someone else mentioned: the Sun would normally be easy to identify in the sky. However, I would think that one should not need a Web cam and computer to do all this. The Sun's apparent motion across the sky is very well understood, and could be pre-calculated for any latitude and date very easily. Beyond that, most Sun-tracking applications are for objects which are to be pointed at the sun (for instance, solar cells). We might cut out the computer altogether by arranging a simple timing device.

-Will Dwinnell
    Data Mining in MATLAB
  • riderofrohan
    riderofrohan
    I am doing Project in motion detection. Can you send me code in Matlab for my reference to
    Thank You

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need some informations. Who is manufacturer of shunts. I need some shunt's features and performance. Thank you
What are the procedures to be followed when designing a high temperature (say 600 deg c) piping and its attachments (e.g Shoe, Pad etc.)? Thanks
hello friends i am doing my final year diploma in Instrumentation and i have got selected in aptitude test in placement conducted by apna technologies. I came to know that...
CEans, I think this is insane, but ET has reported following statements by top Infosys officials- โ€œWe have asked our recruitment staff not to poach anybody from Satyam. The company...
The intention is not to hurt anyone. I found the following poem on Mayur's weblog [ https://maxmayur.blogspot.com ] , who found it on someone else's blog, who found it on...