Core or IT jobs..??

hi.. i wrote Gate this year and am currently waiting for my results.. i've not done my exam well ๐Ÿ˜” and have started applying for jobs. I've always wanted to get into a job in my field (E&C) rather than IT.. but i know the level of difficulty is very high to get into a core job and i'm not able to judge my abilities for the same..

Can anybody give an overview or a brief idea about the selection process, level of difficulty involved for core jobs..such that it helps me decide where exactly i stand?? ๐Ÿ˜•

Will it be possible for me to do an Mtech later if I take up a job now (IT or core) ??

Thanks in advance..
Reply awaited. :smile:

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The selection process will vary with the hiring companies. I hope you have uploaded your resume to popular job sites in your country.

If your interest lies in E&TC, you should look for a job which matches your interests. It might bit tougher in the beginning; but in the long run, you will be happy with the choice you made.

Be assured that you can go for higher studies at any point in your career. All you need is strong determination and action.

I hope this answers your question.
  • thanu_shree
    thanu_shree
    okay...

Can you give me an idea on how i need to prepare myself for Core jobs?

During the course of my engineering i've not been able to acquire much of practical knowledge about my subjects.. and i feel i lack in that aspect.. Can you guide me in what ways i can improve myself there??๐Ÿ˜’
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    thanu_shree
    okay...

Can you give me an idea on how i need to prepare myself for Core jobs?

During the course of my engineering i've not been able to acquire much of practical knowledge about my subjects.. and i feel i lack in that aspect.. Can you guide me in what ways i can improve myself there??๐Ÿ˜’
    The only way to acquire practical knowledge is to work on a project. However, I'd strongly recommend that you should be thorough with the theory (especially Electrical engineering demands it!) before you start working on a project.

Go through all the subjects and get your concepts clear. Read the books with interest and ask your queries on forums, interact with fellow engineers.

That's how you should get started.
  • thanu_shree
    thanu_shree
    okay.... thank you.. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    The_Big_K
    The only way to acquire practical knowledge is to work on a project. However, I'd strongly recommend that you should be thorough with the theory (especially Electrical engineering demands it!) before you start working on a project.

Go through all the subjects and get your concepts clear. Read the books with interest and ask your queries on forums, interact with fellow engineers.

That's how you should get started.
    Nice suggestions Biggie. :smile:
  • thanu_shree
    thanu_shree
    hi again.. i just got my Gate results today and did not Qualify.. ๐Ÿ˜”

[FONT="]Examination Paper: EC . [/FONT]
    [FONT="]Marks out of 100: 20.00 [/FONT]
    [FONT="]All India Rank: 019066[/FONT]
    [FONT="]GATE Score: 0297 [/FONT]

My plan next is to take up a job..and write other exams on the way &/ Gate again next year.. Though putting all the constraints ( financial, time ( passed my BE in 2009 and took time off to prepare for Gate but now am back to being jobless) ) i've come to the conclusion that taking up an IT job now is the suitable option for me..but since i've always wanted to stick to my field i'm not able to make up my mind.. Please help..๐Ÿ˜•

Are there any other alternatives that i can try out which will also fullfill both the above constraints?? ๐Ÿ˜’

what will be the difficulties i'll have to overcome if i want to change from IT to core in future (after or before mtech)??
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    (Before Mtech) After joining IT and working for some years (say 2) if you want to switch to core field, you can.. always if you get a job! But you will not.
    Since, 2+ years in IT will pay you more compared to core field fresher, if you are 100% sure that you would go then thats fine!

After Mtech - I would say there would be ample opportunities because you have specialized yourself in your favorite subject!
  • Chaitali Sumita
    Chaitali Sumita
    hello everyone....
    the same question always strike my mind whether i should go for IT jobs or core??? currently i am in my 3rd yr....and really want some help.....
    this thread was indeed helpful but still then the doubt of entering core or IT persists!!!!m not able to decide properly and hence not able to focus๐Ÿ˜”...please do help me out!!
  • thanu_shree
    thanu_shree
    #-Link-Snipped-#@ English-Scared :

Are you saying that it would be difficult to get a job in core once i've worked in IT ( 1 or 2 years) or Are you saying i should be 100% sure that i'll be able to leave a job that is paying me more and start from scratch again or your saying both these conditions equally matter if i want to directly switch from IT to Core i.e without going for an Mtech ??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @thanu_shree: Shifting from IT to core could be difficult. However, I'd not rule out the possibility of getting a better job (work/pay/environment) once you acquire a higher degree.

Instead of being jobless, you should start working somewhere. IT job would be a good option (assuming you aren't able to find enough core job opportunities).
  • thanu_shree
    thanu_shree
    okay... thank u Big K ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    you should first try your hands on core job,go for PSU .there are ample opportunities in
    core job as well as your satisfaction.And as biggie told that IT job is the alternative till you are not finding any specfic job
  • junjuramesh
    junjuramesh
    thanu_shree
    hi.. i wrote Gate this year and am currently waiting for my results.. i've not done my exam well ๐Ÿ˜” and have started applying for jobs. I've always wanted to get into a job in my field (E&C) rather than IT.. but i know the level of difficulty is very high to get into a core job and i'm not able to judge my abilities for the same..

Can anybody give an overview or a brief idea about the selection process, level of difficulty involved for core jobs..such that it helps me decide where exactly i stand?? ๐Ÿ˜•

Will it be possible for me to do an Mtech later if I take up a job now (IT or core) ??

Thanks in advance..
    Reply awaited. :smile:
    Hi thanu_sree..
    I appreciate you for trying to get placed in core job. Be with that desire only. Dont change your mind set about your profession.

It is not much difficult to get a core job in these days. Because every one is getting jobs in their college placements. only few may not get there.

To get a core job, it is strongly recommended to be thorough with your technical subjects.

Besides preparation you have to apply for some positions.
    I suggests you to register your mobile at #-Link-Snipped-# to get govt. jobs. you will get daily messages about various jobs. select the jobs which match your profile.

and regularly visit Jobs: Search Jobs In India, Freshers Jobs Online, Govt Jobs, Recruitment | Freshersworld.com .

I wish you all the Best.
    Be confident, never turn your back.
  • thanu_shree
    thanu_shree
    By PSU jobs u mean Govt jobs?? of the likes of BEL,HAL,DRDO etc.. ??
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    thanu_shree
    By PSU jobs u mean Govt jobs?? of the likes of BEL,HAL,DRDO etc.. ??
    yes thanu ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Friends, Currently, I'm searching a good final year projects on telecommunication field..at the same time my lecturers demand us, the project should be related & useful to the industry...
Hello CEians... PROSCENIUM 2010.....the theatre of war is now open...get yourself registered..๐Ÿ˜ IEEE-AIT official website AMBEDKAR INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY's (govt. of NCT Delhi) Technical extravaganza. Proscenium 2010 is the ultimate...
found this, and just thought I'd share... Highly heat-conductive carbon fiber on the way. - Free Online Library carbon fiber replacing copper and aluminium......how long till we build carbon fiber...
How to disable Mobsync.exe on window vista? Detail question in How to disable Mobsync.exe on window vis ta? [FONT="]i tried it all i think but a lot thats online right...
while surfing net, i came to know that brown's gas is used for welding and even as a fuel in cars. But why it is not yet implemented in road...