Converting Gas Turbines

Hi

I was wondering - if say you have a gas turbine that is used in a power station (e.g 50MW capacity) and has been running for say 10 years by burning diesel, can it then be used to run on natural gas? If so what modifications are required ?

Thanks

Replies

• alma111
    alma111
    GE to convert turbine in Brazil to burn ethanol

General Electric said on Thursday that it has received a contract from Brazil state-owned energy company Petrobras to convert a second gas turbine to burn sugarcane-based ethanol.
    The turbine is at a power plant serving the city of Juiz de Fora, northwest of Rio de Janeiro. The value of the contract wasn't disclosed.
    GE said it is the first power plant in the world to generate electricity from ethanol. The power plant has two turbines. The conversions allow them to burn ethanol as well as natural gas.
  • TinaT
    TinaT
    Most of the modifications will be to the fuel nozzles. You may just need to switch out the diesel nozzles for gas nozzles. Or you could opt for dual-fuel nozzles, so you can still burn both. Contact your OEM, I'm sure they'd be happy to talk to you about options. Some of the maintenance depots may also be able to help and/or provide 3rd party parts for the conversion.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm seriously jealous of Google Employees. While I struggle to go beyond 50KBps while downloading on my so called 3G, engineers in other part of the world are enjoying 500MBps...
I am unable to decide about the final year projects. The basic question is how to decide it? The professor wants some thing big. But unable to cope to her...
Just want to share this to you😀 The Payatas Dumpsite: From Tragedy To Triumph Perhaps, no other dumpsite can evoke perspectives so extreme. From a scene of tragedy and shame,...
How to check whether a stepper motor is working or not?? My stepper motor has 6 wires for input to be integrated with circuit..... Please help me out .... its...
I'm totally pissed off because of BSNL's IDIOTS - who're totally clueless about their own system. I requested for plan update to BBG-ULD-1350-COMBO-MONTHLY which provides 4Mbps speed up to 20...