converting a laptop to a wireless router

hi guys i have heard that a laptop enabled with wifi can be converted as wireless router
i tried this but it dint work can anyone help me out

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    yes yes! you can do it.

start -> set up a connection or network ->set up a adhoc network
    This will make your computer to act as a master which inturn be a wireless router,
    donnot forget to enable ICS ( internet connection sharing) to allow other computers to hop upon your computer to access internet.

Also, if inc ase you are using Windows OS,
    refer to below

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    It wouldn't be a wireless router in the true sense would it?? I mean it would only connect to one computer at a time (wirelessly), wouldn't it??

Nonetheless, interesting idea!! Hadn't really thought about it.

[off topic]

I saw this program on the idiot box in which they salvaged a laptop and converted it to make a slim (form factor) PC!! It was very cool!! I'll see if I can find a link to it!! It was completely DIY
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    OK, May I will explain here?
    You must have heard about adhoc networks, this is a kind of network which is formed by all the wireless devices available. When i want to access internet , i can hop on the nearest wireless device and then finally end up at the gateway connecting to the internet backhaul. SO this generally depends on the density of nodes available at a given point of time in a given vicinity of area.
    When a different computer acts as a router to your computer, it hops on your computer, ie the speed of your internet will be shared temporarily.
    For example, once you configure the master you can make any wireless device( for now a laptop) to detect this network and connect to it. You will be able to see that for this client the master is the gateway , which makes it as a point of access to internet. but this has few more settings to be done before you will be able to acess and I think I am missing some of it. I need to be posting the details , as I think ash might help me out there ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ash can't help as he hasn't done this before ๐Ÿ˜›

Basically you'll want the laptop to be an access point, and then use the bridge mode to connect it to internet.

as maddie said, this would be interesting to try out. I wouldn't mind trying it tomorrow
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ash
    ash can't help as he hasn't done this before ๐Ÿ˜›

Basically you'll want the laptop to be an access point, and then use the bridge mode to connect it to internet.

as maddie said, this would be interesting to try out. I wouldn't mind trying it tomorrow
    * durga catches running ash*
    you cant run away , i have been trying to do it since past 2 week ends, and I end up accessing only the internal files of the client computer and not internet, I want to give it another go this week end .
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    By the way:
    you can give a go to the below software as well

#-Link-Snipped-#

P.S: I have not YET tried/tested it.
  • ark
    ark
    thanks for the reply fellas
    i will try it today
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    hey Durga had you tried this?
    was it succesful????it seems to be intresting
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    i think we can access the internet services connected to one of the system by making a wirless connection,
    and then bridging the two i.e, the internet connection and the wireless connection!!!

i have done this many times,
    even whenever i connect to internet with mobile,
    my friend connect his laptop with mine by establishing a wireless network and then we can access internet from both the laptops by simply bridging the two networks!!!

thus i think if more then one laptops are connected to the wireless network,
    internet will be accessible from all of them!!!

correct me if I am wrong!!!!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    hey please explain clearly is it really possible ie we can convert pc into wireless router?
    if you have done this then please explain the procedure?
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    goyal420
    hey please explain clearly is it really possible ie we can convert pc into wireless router?
    if you have done this then please explain the procedure?
    For windows:

Simply..
    connect your laptop to the mobile via datacable,
    connect the laptop to internet using pc suit for your mobile,
    then set up a wireless adhoc(computer to computer) network, by means of which other systems can be connected to your laptop.

then connect the systems with the help of the wireless network to the laptop which you want to use as wireless router ,

open Network And Sharing center, an option like share internet connection will be there, just choose that option!!

with this the internet connection is shared to all the systems connected to the router laptop,
    and thus internet is accessible on all the systems connected!!!๐Ÿ˜

correct me if I am wrong!!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    okk thanks i will try this..if it will be successfull it will solve a great problem in our hostel
    love you ce ๐Ÿ˜€
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    there is one more method in case of unavailability of PCsuit:

first of all connect to the internet setting up a dial up network,
    then follow this:

open control panel
    then select phone and modem option from it,

when it opens, select the modem you are using to set up the internet connection then click on its properties
    now click on change settings

then open advanced options
    a slot to enter the Extra Initialization command will be there
    type +CGDCONT=,,"bsnlnet" (for connection through bsnl network)
    then click OK

by this your laptop willl get connected to the internet
    then follow the procedure of establishing the adhoc network,
    when this adhoc network is established select the option for sharing the internet connection from the network and sharing center.

by doing this all the systems which are connected to the laptop wirelessly will be able to access internet!!!

correct me if i am wrong!!!
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    actually it can be done but u should have a external source of internet like usb hub or broadband connection
    so if u connect to the internet through your usb hub r broadband service or any other leaving the wireless connections
    go to the control panel go to my networks in the properties window click on the advanced tab and then click on the internet sharing
    but the two systems should be connected in the adhoc network.........
    i hope this help u
    ignore this if it is wrong
  • ark
    ark
    thanks for the reply , will try it and let you know ๐Ÿ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Best Electronics and Communications Engineering student out there,,can somebody give at least 3 best related topics about ECE for my research paper.
I'm a freshmen in dlsu manila studying ECE and my prof in ENGLRES said that we need to give at least 3 topics about ECE for my research paper..thank you...
I came across this one as a very good research topic, though I have not read about it as of yet to trigger of the discussion, mean while has any...
Iam Proposing to do a project in Scanned Image Processing in Python Iam a Btech Student..Iam seeking Help from you in doing that..If anyone has any idea in this Plz...
Hi , Why executable files can't be e-mailed like other files? Is there any possible way to e-mail .exe files?