Conversion To KWh

How to convert any quantity to KWh if voltage, frequency and Current is given?

Say, my refrigerator has rating 230V, 50Hz, 1.1A. What is the KWh rating?
Also what does VA unit mean?

Does 1 unit of electricity stand for 1Wh?

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Issue
    One unit of electricity is exactly equal to 1000 Watts of power used for 1 hour.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Issue

Say, my refrigerator has rating 230V, 50Hz, 1.1A. What is the KWh rating?
    one watt is the rate at which Electrical Work is done when one Ampere of current flows through an electrical Potential Difference of one Volt .
    W= V*I
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Issue
    Apparent power is expressed as VA unit, product of rms voltage and rms current
    VA -voltage-ampere
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    All calculations are given for single phase AC loads at homes such as refrigerators,heaters,etc:

Issue
    Power (KW)= Voltage (V) x Current (A) x Power factor / 1000
    Energy (KWh)= Power (KW) x Time (Hrs)

Power factor for AC supply of 50 Hz is normally assumed to be from 0.6 (worst) to 0.8 (still bad!)
    Issue
    Apparent Power (VA) = Real Power (W) / Power factor

[​IMG]

Real power (W) represents the actual energy transfered from source to the load.
    As the loads (refrigerators, heaters,etc) are inductive in nature, there is an additional component of power which is not actually transferred to load to do any fruitful work. This component is called reactive power and circulates back and forth between load and source. The net addition of reactive power (VAR) over any full cycle is zero. Eventually, these two components of the power taken from the source add up to apparent power (VAR).

Issue

1 unit = 1 KWh

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to start a gadget showoff thread. I think CrazyEngineers should have one such thread where people will be able to show off and boast their possessions. Every tech...
Take the test: https://similarminds.com/jung.html and post your results in this thread. Let's see who's who 😀 Me: ESTJ - "Administrator". Much in touch with the external environment. Very responsible. Pillar...
I have got an offer to do a professional certification in software development from iiit-b yogyata program .I am 2011 pass out in ECE. Currently I am looking for a...
There are mostly two types of engineers I've come across throughout my professional career : Job Hoppers and 'The Loyal'. The job hoppers would stay in any company for a...
Small Talk Link: https://www.crazyengineers.com/ravi-pandit-ceo-kpit-cummins-promoting-innovation-in-industry/ We give special thanks to CEan – Ishan for his efforts and Mr. Vijayasarathi Vinjimoor (Gutenberg Communications) for his support in making this Small Talk possible....