config.trim_on_minimize = true : Free RAM when Firefox is Minimized!

Alright,

I found this comment on lifehacker. Someone commented that if we set

config.trim_on_minimize = true

Firefox will return system's precious RAM. Anyone's got more information on this?

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    config.trim_on_minimize??

There is no such field in my firefox, in the about:config page. I'm using firefox 3.1. Is it working for anyone??
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    silverscorpion
    config.trim_on_minimize??

There is no such field in my firefox, in the about:config page. I'm using firefox 3.1. Is it working for anyone??
    Scorpion right click there and then add new entry of boolean type and set its value to true. If it is not working try making a user.js file(add entry to it) in pref folder of firefox. I tried but it was showing access denied to me.

PS: I will try more and will get back to you but you also try if it works and let us know. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Wow man, its magic ๐Ÿ˜

Add following entry in all.js file in greprefs folder of firefox3 version and save it.
    pref("config.trim_on_minimize", true);
    When I minimize the window. it is giving quite a bigger amount reduction in RAM consumption.

See just now my Task manager is showing 28,596K against firefox.exe
    and when i minimized it, it showed around 3452k. Though it will keep on varying.

I must say a very good information told.๐Ÿ˜
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    But I have a question regarding this- if anyone of you know the reason Please tell ๐Ÿ˜€

When I made the same changes in my laptop - firefox 3 it didn't allow me to modify all.js file(saying "Access is denied") but just now I tried it in my office system (same version), it is working ๐Ÿ˜• How?

Is the directory path matters?

Any ideas anyone?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    It is not working for me..I am using firefox 3.07
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    A very Useful information this.Also anybody Explain the working of this trick...
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ms_cs
    It is not working for me..I am using firefox 3.07
    ms_cs, Did you try the way I told in my post? Are you sure it is not working? Are you getting "Access is denied" Problem? If any other problem let us know? ๐Ÿ˜€

Try this Add following entry in all.js file in greprefs folder of firefox3 version and save it.

pref("config.trim_on_minimize", true);
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Amazing...Its really freeing the ram...May I know the working of this?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Access denied? Maybe you've your firefox running? Do you get the same error when you try to edit the file when FF is closed?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's more information: Config.trim on minimize - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

It says that you should leave it to 'false' to maintain application responsiveness. Anyone's seen delayed response time when the setting is 'true' and FF is maximized (from the tray)?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I did not even get a single error.In the last time login in my system, i was modified that file.At that time it was not working.when i attempted to restart my system, I got the thing.It is now really working.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    Access denied? Maybe you've your firefox running? Do you get the same error when you try to edit the file when FF is closed?
    Man, My firefox was already closed while changing the file. See the error message which I am still getting. I gues it may be beacuse of location? Has anyone tried to the change file in following location? ๐Ÿ˜”

[โ€‹IMG]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Run 'Notepad' in Admin Mode. [I posted procedure to do so few months ago, please search]
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    Run 'Notepad' in Admin Mode. [I posted procedure to do so few months ago, please search]
    Well everything I do on my system is in Admin mode for me. I don't know which Admin mode you are talking about. Just now I tried installing firefox again in C:\ location instead of C:\Program Files , now it allowed me to change that file though I could not see magic of this statement anymore ๐Ÿ˜”

Following is the link that you are talking about and have posted almost a year back(not months back ๐Ÿ˜‰) ๐Ÿ˜€
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks for the information. Good link ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here it is -

Follow these steps:-

1. Click on Start Button
    2. Rt. click on 'Notepad'
    3. Click "Run As Administrator"
    4. Click "Continue" on the prompt
    5. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ using Notepad's 'Open' location option.
    6. Select 'all files' and then choose the 'hosts' file. Make necessary changes and save!
  • cpusrvc
    cpusrvc
    I have been playing with this today. FF is open, and Task Manager running and set to "on top". Processes list shows FF is using 130k mem, 251 VM. Minimize FF, mem drops to 18k, VM is same. Over the next minute or two, not touching the computer, mem slowly creeps up to 118k, VM is same.

It seems like the setting must clear out work space memory, and then immediately starts to fill it again as FF does it's thing. I guess this setting isn't much of a help.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I started this blog for all electrical students pls join this and share your feelings https://sai353.blogspot.com:cean:
now i am doing this survey job in free time at my home,if any one interested on this go to the link below,i hope you also enjoy this job
Stratasys Introduces New FORTUS Brand For High-End Product Line As Direct Digital Manufacturing Gathers Momentum Besides Prototypes, Customers Use Machines to Make Production Parts and Manufacturing Tools FRANKFURT, 26 February...
HI, I'm currently using a microcontroller 16f877A. The Tx and Rx pins of my microcontroller will output either 1 or 0 respectively. The microcontroller is connected to my laptop using...
Hey! our college's CS department is going to organize competitions any ideas for competitions rather than c/c++ programming competitions ๐Ÿ˜•