Computer buying suggestion

I am in trouble to decide which Laptop to purchase.

I have the following specifications in my mind
  • Minimum 6GB RAM
  • 750GB HDD
  • DVD R/RW drive
  • Any processor
  • Graphics (not sure)
  • Price is flexible
  • OS we can switch as need arises

The main use is for using Tanner Matlab and Xilinx for long hours and of course some browsing and stuff. I had trouble with earlier processors. I found 3rd generation i5 and i7 work smoothly under these conditions

But I can't decide between the maker as well. I found #-Link-Snipped-#
These suit my need but is there any other laptop suggestions similar to this model with the above specs

All suggestions are welcome

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I no longer recommend Dell; the company I used to evangelise in past. I believe Samsung's got better machines and so does Sony. The hardware makers are the same and the assemblers as well. All that matters is who's offering better prices and which models have better reviews from users. I've seen happy Samsung & Sony laptop users; so won't shy away from recommending them.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Mate I looked at a range from 45 to 75K and Initially thought of going for 1TB but since it is just additional memory I decided against it and Anyway we can have external hard disks that can extend or data storage capacity at any time

And can we gat the system76-Ubuntu laptops in showrooms nearby ? Is there any official dealers here in my place ?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I no longer recommend Dell; the company I used to evangelise in past. I believe Samsung's got better machines and so does Sony. The hardware makers are the same and the assemblers as well. All that matters is who's offering better prices and which models have better reviews from users. I've seen happy Samsung & Sony laptop users; so won't shy away from recommending them.
    Sir I have a very happy dell customer in my house He was very much satisfied with Dell vostro series

So Unless I have solid grounds and better price I can't argue with him over this 😕
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If you are going for heavy software, SSD is must. Even with 120GB go with it.
    You can add extra storage in portable HDD with 5k for 1TB.
    Go with DOS and configure with SSD at dealer only. That will be bang for bucks.

Machine suggested by @#-Link-Snipped-# looks good, just add 128 GB (Samsung 840 Pro Series 128 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7PD128BW) - SAMSUNG : Flipkart.com @10K) and make it's internal HDD as external HDD using case. Believe me you won't regret it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jeffrey Samuel
    And can we gat the system76-Ubuntu laptops in showrooms nearby ? Is there any official dealers here in my place ?
    IDK if there's any dealer in India or not, but they do ship in India. I think it'll be better if you contact them.
    I would go for the Asus though.

and like @#-Link-Snipped-# said, go for SSD. I have checked benchmarks in Phoronix blog. Simply amazing. 6 sec boot time is no joke,man!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I am using laptop with Samsung Pro SSD , task which takes 45 min on normal HDD, it take only 13 min with ssd. applications launches instantly.
    Even Internet explorer just in 1 sec 😁
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I settled otherwise with Samsung

I am not sure about it So I am not going in with it

What do you guys think about Hp laptops Dad is sticking with it now
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jeffrey Samuel
    Asus or nothing!
    I trust Asus & ASRock blindly. They're best at hardware tweaking. Few additional features by them, are exceptionally good.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Jeffrey Samuel
    I settled otherwise with Samsung

I am not sure about it So I am not going in with it

Well, some of my friends who bought HP faced problems with its screen later on, but ultimately it's your choice.😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Our friends at Texas Instruments (TI) have organised the second edition of MCU Deep Dive events in Pune, Bangalore and New Delhi. The events are aimed at educating the modern...
Seagate Technology plc (NASDAQ: STX) has announced that they're shipping world's thinnest HDD with 2TB capacity - the Spinpoint™ M9T. It's just 9.5 mm thick thin and is available in...
Lenovo has launched the IdeaPad Flex notebook in India today at a price tag of Rs. 42,250. Running the Windows 8 operating system, the laptop operates in dual-mode and features...
Quote: This webinar will detail the process of developing, using, designing, and deploying Community Cellular Networks; small-scale community operated telecommunication networks using OpenBTS. These networks are effectively full "telcos in...
PLEASE PROVIDE ME SOME TECHNICAL IDEA ABOUT CIM