Compass4D Tells Drivers To Slow Down To Avoid Facing Red Traffic Light

If you are like us, you too have tried avoiding the long wait at the crossroads for the signal to turn green. All you do is slow down your vehicle's speed so that you don't have to apply brakes. Well, if you think your judgment about the time it will take for the signal to turn green may not always be correct, a new technique from researchers at New Castle University is here to your rescue. The new technology is known as 'Compass4D' and it lets drivers communicate directly with the road traffic system to decide what roads to choose and when to speed up or down. The field of Cooperative Intelligent Transport Systems makes it possible for vehicles to communicate with other vehicles and with the road infrastructure itself.

By having the Compass4D service inside your car, you can have a smartphone docked in front of your windshield telling you how to react to different situations on the road. So, if there's a hazard ahead, children playing on streets or even if the system thinks that with your current speed, there are chances of you violating the red traffic light.

Compass4D-red-signal-newcastle-university-EU-research

In all total three major services are offered by Compass4D for reducing the number of road accidents, CO2 emissions and overall fuel consumption. With the Red Light Violation Warning (RLVW) service, the Compass4D tech will send a message to driver alerting him or her about the chances of violating a read light and an emergency vehicle approaching. Next on the list is the Road Hazard Warning (RHW) service which warns drivers if there's a queuing traffic ahead after a blindspot or a major obstacle blocking the road. Last but not the least, is the Energy Efficient Intersection (EEI) service that lets selected vehicles such as ambulances or heavy goods vehicles avoid stopping at crossroads by changing the traffic light to green as they approach it.

Take a look at the following video to see the Compass4D gadget in action -

What are your thoughts about the Compass4D tech? Share with us in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    It seems to me that dashboard has become the hot choice for all researchers working on the road-accident avoiding tech. Most smartphone apps and gadgets launched over the last year made use of the a stand located on the dashboard that would either give alerts or have a display that tells drivers to take action.
    Though I am an avid user of the google maps tool, I don't know if such tech is capable of being useful, without creating distraction.

The Compass4D tech reminded me of the research work from Santa Catarina State University in Brazil, who brought a software and hardware solution for your car that is able to detect and warn you when you are using your mobile phone behind the wheel. More on that here: This Dashboard Camera Knows When You Are Talking On Phone While Driving

Wondering what fellow engineers think about the dashboard solutions in driving.
  • aqmeery
    aqmeery
    woo its great invention i just read it i tried to play video not playing . i m a IT student in final semester please if u have time then gave me some suggestion abut my final project because i heve no idea what to do
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    we need a big battery for the mobile

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In the race to offer the best smartphone specifications at ming-bogglingly reasonable prices, the Indian and Chinese OEMs are always at neck to neck competition. In the Android phone market,...
Thousands of people use Facebook without really knowing what are their current account settings. Many users are unaware about what their privacy & security settings mean and how they control...
India's leading telecom company Bharti Airtel Limited is here with an interesting platform named 'Airtel Zero' that can lets mobile app users access apps for free, without paying the data...
Selfies have become an integral part in modern world. From small surprises to wedding parties, people go gaga over clicking these self-portrait photographs. To satiate the needs of the selfie...
Researchers at the Stanford University have developed a new aluminium-ion battery that isn’t a fire hazard like the present age of lithium-ion batteries and can be recharged within a minute....