[Communications] Solar powered mobile networks on the way

Via Tech Radar:
Swedish-Asian telecommunications vendor VNL has launched a solar powered GSM system it hopes will extend the customer base for mobile phone networks in rural areas.

Rural areas in emerging nations, such as India or China, have been unable to own a mobile phone due to the lack of network coverage, as the towers required are expensive, power-hungry and there's a lack of skilled workers to install them.

The WorldGSM station uses around five per cent of the usual amount of electricity, and is a complete GSM network in itself.

Click to read more:
#-Link-Snipped-#
5%? This is great news! One of the reasons I did communication engineering was to see sustainable communication access, both wired and wireless, in rural regions as well as under developed countries. I'm glad we are making fast progress at this area 😀

Here's a short whitepaper discussing the viability of GSM stations running under renewable energy in India:
#-Link-Snipped-#

Also, this could be an interesting seminar topic and project idea 😉

I'm wondering.. since base transceiver stations can be run under their own power, that means we can place more of them within a area without putting a strain on the electrical grid. The smaller the macrocells, the better the performance 😀

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Very cool, thanks for the post & the 2 documents!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hi CEans in India, is there any updates regarding this project? Its been 5 years since I last checked on it. Have you seen any of the WorldGSM stations deployed around?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    ash
    Hi CEans in India, is there any updates regarding this project? Its been 5 years since I last checked on it. Have you seen any of the WorldGSM stations deployed around?
    Nope thanks to you I saw this thread being bumped up Till date this project has been in the dumpsters will check out real soon to see the real state of this project

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hai . give sum intrestin topics for paper presentation
hi Anyone have Skf catalog of bearong in pdf type ?
hi to al...can u plz suggest topics for mini proj in C which must be easy...
Okay, let's see how many of us are seriously interested in attending CrazyEngineers meet in Mumbai! As soon as we have enough number [5-6 min.]; we'll plan for the meet!...
Okay, let's see how many of us are seriously interested in attending CrazyEngineers meet in Delhi - NCR region! As soon as we have enough number [5-6 min.]; we'll plan...