Common collapsed form of words!!

If you are preparing for GRE or any other exam which tests your vocabulary you'll find this chunk of information interesting. Many of the words in common use today are actually COLLAPSED forms of bigger words. Knowing the collapsed form can help in remembering the original ones.

Here are a few of them :
1) mask - derived from "masquerade" which means "assuming a false identity".
2) extempore - derived from "extemporaneous" which means "not planned or IMPROMPTU"
3)manure - derived from "maneuver" which means "to cultivate by manual labor"
4) desire - derived from "desideratum" , do I need to tell what it means?
5) flail - derived from "flagellate" which means "thresh grain by hand; strike or slap; toss about"
6) maim - derived from "mayhem" which means "to injure", most people may have heard the word "mayhem" more often than "maim".
7) melee - derived from "medley" which means "fight". Medley means "mixture" but it may also have a connotation of fight. I would encourage the readers to cross -check.
8)palsy - derived from "paralysis" .Again we recognoize "paralysis"better.
9) Hi-fi - derived from "high fidelity". This one is part of communications jargon now.
10)ping - derived from "impinge" which means "to strike or dash with a sharp collision;infringe". The original has a negative connotation but the collapsed form - ping,is part of IT jargon. In IT Ping is a computer network tool used to test whether a particular host is reachable across an IP network. So it is a kind of infringement but not always in a negative sense.๐Ÿ˜

If you are interested in more of these , refer "All About Words - An Adult Approach to Vocabulary Building - Nurnberg,Rosenblum".

For more such articles visit my blog :#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• crook
    crook
    Nice collection mate ๐Ÿ˜‰ .

FAX - collapsed form of facsimile ๐Ÿ˜
  • Neha
    Neha
    @mastermind303
    I think u are more talking of ROOT WORDS!
    Nice thread!

Here z one more:
    pugna-fight
    here pugna z a root word.
    Words from pugna-pugnacious, pugilist
  • mastermind303
    mastermind303
    I think u are more talking of ROOT WORDS!
    Nice thread!

Here z one more:
    pugna-fight
    here pugna z a root word.
    Words from pugna-pugnacious, pugilist

Not exactly....

I was talking about how word usage has changed down the years.....
    anyways keep commenting!!!
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Renaming recycle bin isn't the same as renaming the other folders on your Win XP machine, because this option isn't present by default. A bit of tweaking/hacking is required. There...
One of the major research areas in communication nowadays is power supply. Mobile phones have almost reached their level of saturation with cameras, internet, high capacity memory already integrated in...
Recently I had a light chat with one of my friends about probability. What he said forced me to think on this issues. He said that the meaning of probability...
hi friends, i'm doin my third yr in mechanical n i would like to do some mini projects in internal combustion engines.... considering the low capital requirements n knowledge abt...
Their is a question in my mind 4 which i cant get any answer...i m posting it out here... We all know dat in an engine at the time when...